MS-460 smoked, then seized. What's going on?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You mean the one you shopped far and wide to find a defected saw?
Hello I am tommie and I am interested in buying your defective husky
for top dollar so's I can razz ole rope and woody on AS:laugh: How
long the add run thall?

Yeah thats the one. I hear it took them about three milli seconds to find one out the bunch,LOLOLOLOL

Possible cause 1 : A 2171 was nearby and the 460 got his pants wet from oil and the saw seized do to straight gas.

Possible cause 2: The 460 realized that a NE346 will fell a tree, de-limb it and cut in into 10ft pieces faster than him.

Possible cause 3: A 242XP was turning 15500 rpm and the 460 wanted to do the same and seized after 2 seconds.

Na... and unfortunate accident. The 460 was trying to show the 2171 and 346 how to end it all gracefully, but the sleasy 2171 has slipped a mickey into his gas, and the 460 couldn't pull back in time... Sad... but I'm sure he earned respect.

Actually, I blame the 242 - he was in the peanut gallery egging the 460 on... and with testosterone pumping... what could a 460 do?

RIP 460

Consider getting a pressure check before you tear it down. That way you will rule out a bad seal/air leak....crank shaft seals, carborator seal, impule line.

Unfortunately this will also cost you MORE !

Update

OK, here's what we found: The darn limitter cap was left off the carb after the previous owner messed with it. This allowed the previous owner to come up with a bad fuel/air mix and, most likely, a run speed that was too hot for the piston and cylinder to handle. They're both badly damaged. I never touched the carb adjusters.

Parts, alone, are $400 plus about two hours of labor. So, I can pop for $600 and get a used saw that should be good to go, or I can spend another $250 and buy a second new 460. I'm going to think it over. Again, damn eBay! I should have spent an extra $39 to have the Stihl service center, here, check the saw out before I ever fired it up.

Save the put-downs, please. The saw ran well, as far as I knew, and it did a very good job for a good, long while without showing any signs of wear or tear. While I'm fairly certain that some of you saw guys might have sensed that something was out of adjustment right off the bat, I had no basis of comparison, except to my 440, and I knew that the 460 was supposed to be punchier. I'll be more careful now, you may rest assured.

Thanks to those who gave me good advice. I honestly do appreciate it.

Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate it. Enjoy your days off!

-Miles

Na... and unfortunate accident. The 460 was trying to show the 2171 and 346 how to end it all gracefully, but the sleasy 2171 has slipped a mickey into his gas, and the 460 couldn't pull back in time... Sad... but I'm sure he earned respect.

Actually, I blame the 242 - he was in the peanut gallery egging the 460 on... and with testosterone pumping... what could a 460 do?

RIP 460

The way I saw it Mrs 460 was trying to run with the big dawgs
and just could not hang.:cheers:

OK, here's what we found: The darn limitter cap was left off the carb after the previous owner messed with it. This allowed the previous owner to come up with a bad fuel/air mix and, most likely, a run speed that was too hot for the piston and cylinder to handle. They're both badly damaged. I never touched the carb adjusters.

Parts, alone, are $400 plus about two hours of labor. So, I can pop for $600 and get a used saw that should be good to go, or I can spend another $250 and buy a second new 460. I'm going to think it over. Again, damn eBay! I should have spent an extra $39 to have the Stihl service center, here, check the saw out before I ever fired it up.

Save the put-downs, please. The saw ran well, as far as I knew, and it did a very good job for a good, long while without showing any signs of wear or tear. While I'm fairly certain that some of you saw guys might have sensed that something was out of adjustment right off the bat, I had no basis of comparison, except to my 440, and I knew that the 460 was supposed to be punchier. I'll be more careful now, you may rest assured.

Thanks to those who gave me good advice. I honestly do appreciate it.

Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate it. Enjoy your days off!

-Miles

Well at least you got it figured out. Unfortunatly its an expensive mistake, but you learn well from those, we've all had a dumb moment, so don't feel too bad.

Latest posts

Back