ms 660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luke_w

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
is $349 bucks a good deal for a ms 660. i looked it over and it needs a new chain tensioner and new chain break handle ( its cracked down the center). but it fires up and runs good. i told the guy i would think about it.

If the pistons not scored it sounds like a smoking deal.

Hmm, quite the conundrum...

I would buy it if the rest of it's in good shape.

Not really. He says it runs good. Even if the piston is scored or the compression is down a little you can put a $39 piston in it, find a used chain brake handle and tensioner on eBay, and sell it on eBay for $600. It is not a very hard job and plenty of previous posts and help here on how to do it.

I sold a clean MS 660 that needed a cylinder kit because the spark plug hole was ruined for $700. I did put an OEM cylinder kit on it but if I was going to keep it I probably would have just used one of the $100 aftermarket kits. I have rebuilt a few using those and fail to see any difference in operation.

If you take your time you can find a real nice 660 for around $500.00 and all you have to do is use it.

Not really. He says it runs good. Even if the piston is scored or the compression is down a little you can put a $39 piston in it, find a used chain brake handle and tensioner on eBay, and sell it on eBay for $600. It is not a very hard job and plenty of previous posts and help here on how to do it.

I sold a clean MS 660 that needed a cylinder kit because the spark plug hole was ruined for $700. I did put an OEM cylinder kit on it but if I was going to keep it I probably would have just used one of the $100 aftermarket kits. I have rebuilt a few using those and fail to see any difference in operation.

It was a joke..:givebeer:

Sounds to be a good deal, almost too good!

Be careful and look it over closely. If it just needs some new plastic here and there it's a great deal. If it needs some mechanical work also, or if the jug is scored, tell him 200 bucks or keep it. :cheers:

sorry i havent even had a chance to go and haggle with the guy yet....all 3 days this week weve had fires right at quitting time but i got high hopes for tommarrow! knock on wood

IF the only two things wrong with it are what you mentioned in your initial post, don't haggle with the guy. Hand him the money, take the saw and run like the wind before he changes his mind. :)

Back