MS170 won't run at all - to fix or upgrade?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heath475

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first post. I have been reading through the forums to make sure that I didn't miss anything too obvious but my Stihl MS 170 will not start.

I had a gardener come and help with a summer yard cleanup (Australia) and lent him my chainsaw to do the job. He told me that the saw got hot and wouldn't start but that was normal (and reading online seemed to be true).

After letting the saw cool I tried again and again to start the saw over a few days to make sure a) it was cool, and b) it wasn't flooding. Could not get the saw to fire at all.

Then drained and replaced fuel, replaced spark plug and air filter - no luck.

Took the saw back to the shop I bought it from about 3 years ago (only used 4 or so times in 3 years) and they could not care less the saw wouldn't work. Gave it a pull and said it was very tight and the chain was turning when trying to start which meant the clutch had been burnt out. Wanted to charge me $100 to look at the saw, plus ??? in labour and parts. Estimate $250, could be more for a saw that is worth $300 here new.

Now I don't know what to do. The Stihl prices go up here (significantly) in just a few days so my first thought wast to upgrade to a bigger saw (MS181 was my first thought), but I don't want to buy a more expensive saw now that may be unreliable (or not worth fixing if something else goes wrong). I was disappointed that the saw is pretty much a throwaway after minimal use.

I took the chain off and the clutch and tried to start - I though if it was a clutch issue I would at least be able to get the saw started with no clutch and chain, but nothing not even a hint of firing.

I did notice quite a bit of oil around the bar/chain/clutch area. Not sure if this indicates something.

Because I wasn't using the saw (and wasn't there when it was being used) I don't know if the failure is due to misuse, whether the fix will be easy and the shop just wants more money (they have ripped me off on a lawnmower previously). I did find the MS170 a little underpowered for what I needed to use it for and would bog down (cutting down small-ish ironbark/hardwood trees).

Options now are:
1. Try to fix the saw myself
2. Take it to another small engine mechanic to fix
3. Buy another MS 170 for $300 (before the price hike, accepting saw is a little under powered but being able to use the current saw for parts in the future)
4. Buy a MS181 for $500 with quick chain adjustment and easy start
5. Look at buying an Echo saw.

So far not impressed at all with Stihl (whipper snipper is Stihl too and bogs down a LOT, I have a Stihl leaf blower though that I am very happy with) but as I said not sure what the gardener did to the chainsaw.

Any advice on what you guys would recommend would be appreciated.

Thanks Guido - Took off muffler and cleaned it up. I did see some minor blemishes on the piston - didn't look too serious but I did notice it. I'll take it off again and take a photo in the morning. Not sounding good, upside is I get a bigger saw I guess.

Any thoughts on likely cause? Fuel mix, overheated?

if your cylinder and piston are scored as mentiioned above to check and you deside to buy new saw i would go with an echo as i think they build a much better home owner saw then the lower end stihls. Also your stihl dealer sounds like a jerk too.
Echo also has 5 year waranty as well. I have an echp cs 520 and love it never had any isues with it.

Not trying to offen you stihl guys. they make great higher end saws as i own five.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

If you have a compression tester hook it to the saw and pull until the needle does not rise. I have little experience with that model (gave away the only one I have ever owned) but suspect you will need 130+ PSI for it to run.

Newer MS170's are, to be honest, garbage. There's a very good reason why Stihl authorized their dealers here to sell it at 199€.
That problem you describe seems to be pretty common and, honestly, I would not bother fixing it. Very much like Hyundai saws, the present MS170 is a disposable saw.
Strip away everything you can sell as spares (engine cover, carburetor, bar, chain etc) and throw the rest in the scrap heap.

If you want a nice little homeowner saw get an Echo, get a Shindaiwa or get a Tanaka. A maruyama will do just as well, as they are nothing more than rebranded Echo and Dolmar/Makita.

When you take the muffler of again, throw the screen in the trash. Get a hand torch and head up the muffler till cherry red, all the sizes.
After cool daw, clean it wit a wire brush, reinstal and try again. If that don't help you have to make a tun up . Change all the filters spark plug and clean the carb.
The carb need to be take a parts not just from outside(Don't blow with air) use carb cleaner.
MS170 is a great small saw. I have one and I know. Never let me down. But is important to use good gas (93/94 octane no ethanol) and two cycle synthetic oil.
Good luck my friend.

I'd do a couple quick check before deciding to just toss the saw in the trash. I would be checking the spark plug or replacing it just to be sure that spark wasn't the issue. Check the spark screen in the muffler. Make sure the screen is clean and not coated with a layer of carbon. If you don't have a compression tester just try and hang the saw from the pull cord handle. The saw should hang for a few seconds before the pull cord begins to come out. (Make sure the spark plug is still in when you try this)

A saw with a plugged up spark screen will run very hot and be low on power. Eventually when the screen gets completely plugged the saw won't even start.

Don't pay a steal dealer to fix it, forget em. try to fix it yourself or have somebody look at it that won't rip your head off like the dealer will. If you know absolutely nothing about fixing one then set it in a corner and wait till you do or someone who does that will not screw you. Your dealer sounds like most steal dealers. Stihl homeowner saws are junk mostly. I have a 250 and it's a POS. Spend a little more money and get a better saw and never loan it out to someone who don't care about your stuff. they will abuse it.

That saw sounds like its scored and likely the clutch side has been melted from the saw being run with the chain brake on, possibly something else causing the chain to turn when being pulled over with the recoil. Possibly a bad/seized clutch bearing or gunk melted into the clutch.

First, never borrow machines to anyone.
And lent the chainsaw ready to work perfectly, why it came damaged? Who has to concert the damage on the chainsaw is the person to whom you lent.
One important thing is never to lead a damaged machine to a stihl workshop !!! I speak from experience here next to me there is a stihl dealer (Horta in Torres Vedras), once were 4 blowers to repair and there they said they had not concert, they came back and I did the 4 not can concert, I could get 2 to work. They want to sell new machines !!!
In the last case, look for a shop you trust.
Good luck.

Maybe find another member in your area that can help you out with the repair or at least take a look at it. Could be something simple if the p/c look good as you said.

The 180/181 is a bigger saw (engine wise)

This saw needs to be diagnosed before suggesting he throws it away. Sounds like it's fried but even so would have some parts value. This series is not as horrible as many here make it out to be. More often it's the treatment they get as an entry level saw (any brand is subject to this...)

Even if the saw is shot, it's a good opportunity for the owner to learn a bit about chainsaws before he buys another.

The suggestion to take out the spark screen was valid as these saws are prone to plugging them.

You can go online for instructions on removing the clutch drum. I've gotten a lot of stuck ones unstuck and lightly sanded them to get them working fine, again (lot of locals bringing me their abused Poulan saws). This is very common... leaving the brake on and trying to run the saw. As others have mentioned, find somebody who knows a bit about chainsaws... even a guy who cuts wood for his stove... and bribe him with a six-pack of beer to have a look at it. I seriously doubt if the saw is completely trashed in such a short time. I'm not a fan of Stihl's consumer grade saws, either, and will have to agree that Echo is probably the brand to go with for a homeowner saw. The $400 CS-590 is a hell of a good saw for the money, if you need a bigger saw.

Take it in the garage, and if you don't have a bench, a card table or a piece of plywood across a couple of $5 sawhorses will do. Sit down and clean the saw up real good. Start simple and take your time, take notes if you need to... but look the saw over good and take some pics. You'll probably be surprised to discover it's not as bad as you think, but either way, you'll learn some things about a machine that quite frankly you need to know about a tool that is this dangerous. They require regular maintenance and care.

Back