MS180 - Woods Porting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kind of rpms are we talking about here?

I suspect the timings off with the key missing on the flywheel. Before the porting it was tuned to 14,000. It's now tuned to 13,800. I'd like to see 15,xxx. I've never had a saw not gain RPMs with a port job. Never the less, the saw runs great. I picked up a flywheel for $3.00 on eBay and hope to have it soon. We'll see if I gain any RPMs. BTW, the WT215 carb is working great. No issues at all since I removed the Intellicarb cover.

Last edited:
I suspect the timings off with the key missing on the flywheel. Before the porting it was tuned to 14,000. It's now tuned to 13,800. I'd like to see 15,xxx. I've never had a saw not gain RPMs with a port job. Never the less, the saw runs great. I picked up a flywheel for $3.00 on eBay and hope to have it soon. We'll see if I gain any RPMs. BTW, the WT215 carb is working great. No issues at all since I removed the Intellicarb cover.

Brad it Looks Good! :clap:

I put the Intellicarb cover on WT215.....no problems.
Have run 4 tanks with WT215 Intellicarb so far and very happy.
When cold it hit's in 2 or 3 pulls instead of 6....It now is running
in less pulls than just to get it to hit with old carb. Tweaked the
muffler louvers just a bit..........Saw dose have more power and starts
so much better when cold.

Thanks Brad, For the leg work :cheers:

Gary

Good thread! That MS180 seems to have a lot more power than my wife's 017. I did however enlarged the holes in the muffler behind the louvers and gained quite a bit power, but she really didn't appreciate the added noise until she started sawing with it. I think she likes it now!:clap:

This morning I drilled out (3/16) the top and bottom rows in muffler
and pried open the mufflers louvers.......hmmm sounds like a saw now.
Maybe a little saw, but a saw :)

Stuck the 14" 63PM Picco BC to hilt in 20" Shumard Oak and she
ask me to lean on it a little :clap: Need to dig out a new chain
this one has been rocked a few time's and resharpened :dizzy:

Very pleased.......................But I Still Want a MS200!

Gary

this thread is giving me some ideas for my little MS180...
do you guys have any pics of your muffler mods? stock compared to modded? does the stock carb on these have much tuning ability? I only have this saw and an 029...its much easier to pull this saw out for a lot of jobs, just wish it had a bit more power...its bone stock!

old thread bump .. sooo how did the MS180 port job turn out?
how's it compare to a MS200T performance?

I know, ancient thread :p
but, I have 10 170s to play with @ $20ea so figure, why not? 🤪
Muffler mod and a WT215 along with a timing bump helps a bunch. I'm not sure how much extra timing mine has but it runs killer. Buried a 16" speedcut nano setup in a doug fir round the other day just to see what it would do and it really didn't seem to care.

I bought one of the chinese 180 engines to tinker on, might do a little grinding before swapping it in.

Back