MS180C basket case – opportunity or liability?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bensonjv

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently acquired an MS-180C basket case. What you see is what I have. Obvious parts missing include muffler, sprocket, sprocket chain cover, bar/chain, and associated hardware. I haven’t cracked the case open but from what I can see the piston is toast.

Based on what you can see here and your experience, is this worth getting into? If yes, should I take it back to operational 180 specs or could I/should I consider improving stock parts or hot-rodding it up a bit? Either way, how much would you say is too much invested?

Can someone PM me a copy or point me to where I can acquire an illustrated parts diagram or service manual for a 180 series saw? Thanks in advance.

I’m guessing I need a full rebuild kit, standard tune-up kit, muffler, sprocket, bar/chain, and chain side cover plus gaskets and fasteners. New carb too for good measure? I’m not certain if this has an 8 or 10mm wrist pin. I assume 10mm since the sticker is still in good shape on the front of the saw which suggests the saw is new or at least wasn’t used that much before it was screwed up. IMG_7201.jpg IMG_7204.jpg IMG_7205.jpg IMG_7208.jpg IMG_7213.jpg IMG_7215.jpg IMG_7216.jpg

This is a perfect opportunity to make rather than spend money. Unless you have a compelling reason to be underwater on a saw, sell what you have and spend the money on a complete, better quality saw.
Thanks. Appreciate the candid advice.

The last one I had I had to really work to sell the saw for $125.

Your going to have at least 75 in parts alone, plus time.

With the saw as it sits, you can probably eBay it for 75

Let us not forget that it's often about the project and not about the payback.

If it were me, I'd rebuild it just for fun. But then again, I own 46 saws because of this attitude. Oh, and I live in the burbs with a gas-burning fireplace. Go figure.

That maybe true, but why not start with a saw that would least be worth owning and using once you're done.

Let us not forget that it's often about the project and not about the payback.

If it were me, I'd rebuild it just for fun. But then again, I own 46 saws because of this attitude. Oh, and I live in the burbs with a gas-burning fireplace. Go figure.

I know of another member around my local that is on here and I don't even think he has a tree in his lawn let alone a fireplace but saws he has plenty of them. I actually use mine for firewood etc. Not so sure I would be into it if I had no direct use for them. More power to you though in this hobby.

I know of another member around my local that is on here and I don't even think he has a tree in his lawn let alone a fireplace but saws he has plenty of them. I actually use mine for firewood etc. Not so sure I would be into it if I had no direct use for them. More power to you though in this hobby.

I know, I'm odd. It's been said more than once. I love to work on the engines though, and they are cheaper than the cars I used to work on. Easier than cars to store when you have them up and running too.

My brother ran over a 180 with a forklift. I wouldn't have touched it if a friend hadn't given me a parts saw. Parts are expensive, make sure you make a good list of what you think you'll need and see what it will cost before you decide.

I would leave that one alone. It's a "consumer grade" model that sold for $199 new, and wasn't anything stellar even when new. If it came into my shop I would not repair it. As someone else suggested, part it out on eBay and you'll come out WAY ahead of repairing it. Only way I would even attempt it is if there were sentimental value attached to it, and money was not a consideration.

If you want to do it for the project, go for it. But also check into parts. FOP's offer might be the way to go, unless you have a source for some other donor saws. STIHL OEM parts are expensive, and that is a saw that probably does not have many aftermarket parts.

Philbert

The shame of it is there are probably 20 of those saws sitting at the landfill because the dealership tossed them after the customer brought it back complaining of "it started last week" disease....I might have some parts off is a few i scored from the dump pile at my dealer. He knows I'll take junk just for the nuts and bolts....I'm the only one getting the "screws" when I pay for STIHL hardware at the counter.

I had a toasted 170 fall in my lap. I got a (not so big bore) 180 long-block off flea-bay cheap.

I call this hybrid my MS-1AT

Got exactly what I paid for... thats ok because I'm gonna run it till it dies.

I love little saws for little work. With sharp chain its amazing what 32cc can get done.

I had a toasted 170 fall in my lap. I got a (not so big bore) 180 long-block off flea-bay cheap.

I call this hybrid my MS-1AT

Got exactly what I paid for... thats ok because I'm gonna run it till it dies.

I love little saws for little work. With sharp chain its amazing what 32cc can get done.

even more amazingly they do NOT get stolen from the back of the pickup bed for some reason.... o_O

you'd think the crack heads are saw snobs( or AS members) ...won't steal a "homeowner" saw....nope only "pro's" for the meth boys.

even more amazingly they do NOT get stolen from the back of the pickup bed for some reason.... o_O

you'd think the crack heads are saw snobs( or AS members) ...won't steal a "homeowner" saw....nope only "pro's" for the meth boys.

So true.

That's so they can use it to charge some little old lady $5000 to take down a couple tree limbs, then hock it at a pawn shop for decent money. Now they can afford to stay high for the next two weeks and not work.

I have 30 Stihl saws (plus, um a few other brands) and I use my 018C quite often. It really works great for limbing out the tops of trees I'm turning into firewood because I cut em down to a pretty small diameter. If I can get a straight 16" long piece, I'll cut it off. Rather put it in the woodburner than the chipper. Anyway, for hacking and slashing through a treetop, it's a pretty nimble tool and they really cut faster than most would expect of such a small, light saw. (probably due to the tiny .043 gauge chain).

Latest posts

Back