MS180c Problem... Fixed Thanks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean.nickelson

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I figure out why it wouldn't run. The intake boot wasn't on right, so the impulse wasn't working like it should. Start, run for a few seconds, die. During the disassemble process I bent the con rod, my fault. The problem I have now is I can't get the clutch off. The asshat "mechanic" kid I bought it from over tightened the clutch on the crankshaft. It seems to be welded on and I can't get it to budge. Clockwise to take it off.

I ordered a "new" motor assembly off of evilbay and I need to get the clutch off without damaging the plastic or the oil pump assembly.

I'm looking for suggestion on how to get this apart.

Thanks
Sean

I no longer use the piston stops. I use a 20V cordless impact. I've only had one in the last 100 or so that wouldn't come off that way. In your case, any type of impact should work.

I figure out why it wouldn't run. The intake boot wasn't on right, so the impulse wasn't working like it should. Start, run for a few seconds, die. During the disassemble process I bent the con rod, my fault. The problem I have now is I can't get the clutch off. The asshat "mechanic" kid I bought it from over tightened the clutch on the crankshaft. It seems to be welded on and I can't get it to budge. Clockwise to take it off.

I ordered a "new" motor assembly off of evilbay and I need to get the clutch off without damaging the plastic or the oil pump assembly.

I'm looking for suggestion on how to get this apart.

Thanks
Sean

It sounds as if you don't have an impact wrench of any kind. Do yourself a BIG favor and go buy one. Buy the best that you can afford, and it will last you a lifetime of use.

I have an air compressor, so I have both a pneumatic and a 120v. electric (B&D) wrench. I also still have the one you use with a hammer to loosen and tighten case screws and such with. Had it since I was in my late teens and working in a motorcycle shop. It was like $15.00 or so, way back in the early 70's. It came with some bits and a nice metal storage case.

Yup.....sooner or later, as you have discovered, you're gonna need an impact wrench.

I always do clutches with an impact (3/8" butterfly). Just ensure you're going the correct direction before you go after it. Whether the spark plug is in or out makes no difference.

I have a 1/4" impact at home, but I didn't have a 19mm deep socket that was 1/4" drive. I really need a 3/8" impact.

I finally got the clutch off. I had to grind flat spots in the flywheel side of the crank and clamp it into a vise. I then removed the clutch springs, spread out the clutches out and then I could get a bite on the clutch nut with a 19mm deep well socket and a breakover handle. I have no idea what this kid used to tighten the clutch back on with, but it really didn't want to come off.

Now that the clutch is off I can remove the engine assembly and clean the rest up.

The intake boot isn't installed incorrectly. I can see part of the impulse hole in the cylinder from the carburetor side of the boot. I may need to replace the intake boot, I'll know more after I get it home and finish disassembling it tonight.

Thanks for the help.

Yeah, I have never seen about bent rod on one of these saws, but I know it is possible from reading long time on here, I have never lost one with an impact,
or even a hammer punch/chisel.

20150102_153151.jpg

Yes there was a little plastic ring, I removed it so I didn't break it. Are you supposed to be able to see part of the impulse hole on the cylinder or is that supposed to be covered by the rubber intake boot?

Look inside the red circle, is that the way it's supposed to look?

Untitled.jpg

Yeah I see it, as tight as all of that is, I cannot see how the could have gotten the white ring clamp on, let alone squash all of that stuff together, the nipple on the inside of the boot must be defective, I would guess. But either way, it should have been caught on the last saw reassembly.

The kids dad runs the saw shop and the kid is a part time "mechanic" at the shop. He said he replaced the piston and rings and honed the cylinder. He must have missed the damaged boot or he messed it up during reassembly. That's the only thing I can figure. I'll check the boot for damage when I get home tonight.

Thanks for all the help.

With all that horsing around... you could have taken a screwdriver and popped that nipple up into place.

Yeah, I have been playing with the block/boot I have, and I cannot imagine getting the white clamp ring on the boot/cylinder without it put together correctly, let alone fitting so nice in the crankcase housing as it does. Guess I will stop using the word "impossible".........

Latest posts

Back