MS192

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpresnell

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a MS192 with not much use, about 5 yrs. old. Used it about 20 minutes today & it started & ran fine. I then tried to start it back, but no go. I finally got it started, but will only run on choke, if you move choke off, it will die. Any suggestions, dealer said to check for water in gas, no water present in gas, I use non-ethanol, 93 octane & Belray H1R oil @ 6 oz per 2 gal.

Does it stihl have compression? Not easy to tell on a C-E model? Maybe pull the muffler and look for this?

My 192T is my favorite saw so it gets used all the time. Had a similar problem, checked the lines & filter(good) took the carb off and put a kit in it...same issue. Took the carb back off and put in the ultra sonic cleaner for 40 min with two different solutions that 95% of the time clear a gunked carb.....same issue. So I bought a used carb off fleabay, dropped it in and it fired right up and has run perfect since. Best guess is something got under a welch plug...& I don't do welch plugs.

If you suspect that you have an oil clogged muffler, give it a BBQ. Now I know this sounds a little redneck, but I guess if the shoe fits....:chainsaw:

I will just set the muffler on my fish cooker and crank up the heat. When it stops smoking, I can just about guarantee you that the muffler will be clean as a whistle inside.
I have done this on several two stroke engines in the garage of repair and despair and it works.

Did OP ever fix the problem? Just curious. If not, OP can send the saw to me rather than throw it away. Then I'll fix it somehow and use it next month when the weather cools down a little. That also means that it's mine.

The MS192 carburetors are very problematic. I use an Irwin clamp and a vacuum/pressure tester to check carburetors. The -192 carbs often have a leak at a welch plug. Sometimes this can be adequately sealed, more often, not. I do not try to repair these, because in the large shop environment, doing so will always come back to bite you in the tailfeathers. Stihl recognized this problem about a year ago and carbs are now being made with stainless steel core plugs that require no additional sealant. The old Zama glue wasn't as resistant to ethanol as was hoped. The new carburetor is expensive, but if your saw is in otherwise good condition, its worth it. I used to HATE the -192 because of all the quirky performance isssues- now I realize that about 90% are carburetor problems. The new Stihl carburetors are truly a Godsend- they work properly and have saved many saws and customers.

Back