ms200 bites again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kf_tree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
well my star groundman/ropeman got 17 stitch's on his left hand today. i guess we all know how it happened. i was up in a tree and he dissapeared, then another groundy came back and said he cut himself bad. so the first thing we did was rip off his company t shirt and fired him, then gave him bus fare.

notahacker said:
:cry: Ripped his shirt off, fired him, and gave him a bus fare? Wow!

well if we did that how would i know he recieved 17 stitches? he's my star ropeman, i have to take care of him.

SO..... How did he cut himself? He was working on the ground with a 200T?
One handing???

we have a slew of ms200's the guys like them on the ground to dice up brush. this job all debris had to be taken through the house so it's gets cut up pretty small. the cut was right across where the thick part of thumb/hand. i'm still not 100% clear how he did it,i'll find out whem he comes back. he even showed up to work this morning, but the boss sent him home for a couple of paid days off. i'm kind of surprised it happened to him of all people, he's real good at running a saw.

was reading somewhere top-handled saws are regulated in UK?

The nanny government Europeans trying to protect us from ourselves. Kinda like Bow guides being illegal in Colorado. Most pros I've seen do one hand occaisonally, but when I see that I always worry I'm going to see somethingI don't want to see. How will you stop kickback with one hand?

046 said:
was reading somewhere top-handled saws are regulated in UK?

Like someone said, you need proof you've got the right qualifications to buy one. As far as I know, it's illegal to use them on the ground full stop. Because some people have used them with one hand and cut themselves, the HSE believe that the best way forward is to make us all suffer. They seriously considered banning them outright, but relented..for the moment.

Yes, you need to show your NPTC qualification. Cause if you've got that then someone has told you all the ways you can die from using a top handled saw with one hand!
As for using it one handed in the tree, sure if you are way out on the end of the branch and leaning away from all your ropes and your other hand is being used to hold on. That's about the only time it's ok, so if you get kickback the saw just flies away from you, or you drop it clear, not into your rope, legs, other hand, arm or anywhere else!

Acer said:
Like someone said, you need proof you've got the right qualifications to buy one. As far as I know, it's illegal to use them on the ground full stop. Because some people have used them with one hand and cut themselves, the HSE believe that the best way forward is to make us all suffer. They seriously considered banning them outright, but relented..for the moment.

I've been informed that the HSE can revoke your chainsaw licence for using a top handled one on the ground. Don't know if theres any truth to it but i often see people using the top handled chainsaw to cut stuff feeding into the chipper. Come to think of it wasn't that one of the things they fround upon in the artical in total Arb top handle chainsaws use em right or we'll take them away.

as pointed out in UK's goverment safety publications.

they recognize there are certain situations where one-handing a top handle saw is the safest method.

I am new here and was just reading and grimacing about the accident. I wonder if vermeer or anyone has contacted the guys who invented saw stop. Its an automatic brake(dont ask me how) that kicks in when a table saw blade hits flesh. They show them touching a hotdog to a table saw blade and it barely nicks the hotdog coming to a screeching halt. It may sound stupid but I would bet that that technology could be adapted to a grinder

Am I dumb but how the heckk do ya cut yerself onehanding? I mean on a hand.....where is your other hand? Hanging on I'd imagine. Sounds like a fairly lot of flexability lol. (not laughing at injry) Inattention imo, be nice ta know the real story btw.

Sprig said:
Am I dumb but how the heckk do ya cut yerself onehanding? I mean on a hand.....where is your other hand? Hanging on I'd imagine. Sounds like a fairly lot of flexability lol. (not laughing at injry) Inattention imo, be nice ta know the real story btw.

Am guessing he was cutting something he was holding? Anyway, I don't want to sound crazy here, but i cut all the time one handed. I know its a bad idea with a big saw, but those little guys are built for it. Am I the only one?

Latest posts

Back