ms241 261 360 bar chain interchangability

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cedarhollow

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Ok I'm a newby and have to have firewood to stay warm and keep pipes from freezing, I have a ms360 pro a makita dcs5201 an ms180c and almost rebuilt 044.
The 180 is starting to act up and really is not worth putting money into so I am considering a 241 or 261. The 360 bought used and runs great came with a bent 28" bar, so I got a 25" bar and did not realize that 20 would have been much better.
With 4 crushed vertibrae in my back my cutting is done in 30 minute or less intervals and the lighter the saw the better
will bars and chains from a 241 fit on the 360 or do i need to go with the 261.
I have been nothing but confused by sprocket hole count and figuring drive links. fortunatelt the 360 is completely stock and the bar/chain they sold me at the COOP fits but the Makita different story, bought 2 chains so far neither fit, DL count way off. Anyone know of saw shop in NE TN that knows their stuff
thanks and apologize for long rant.

Ok I'm a newby and have to have firewood to stay warm and keep pipes from freezing, I have a ms360 pro a makita dcs5201 an ms180c and almost rebuilt 044.
The 180 is starting to act up and really is not worth putting money into so I am considering a 241 or 261. The 360 bought used and runs great came with a bent 28" bar, so I got a 25" bar and did not realize that 20 would have been much better.
With 4 crushed vertibrae in my back my cutting is done in 30 minute or less intervals and the lighter the saw the better
I have been nothing but confused by sprocket hole count and figuring drive links. fortunatelt the 360 is completely stock and the bar/chain they sold me at the COOP fits but the Makita different story, bought 2 chains so far neither fit, DL count way off. Anyone know of saw shop in NE TN that knows their stuff
numbers on your bar will be either .050, 058, or .063 this is groove width Numbers on your chain will be one of these along with either .325 or .375 which needs to match your drive sprocket. I use a .050- .375 84 DL on my 25" bar on my 036. Not sure what comes standard on a 241 or a 261 but I believe drive sprocket could be changed to either. Find your numbers and match them up. Bailey's has online chain guidance to help in case you cannot find local help

Well as soon as I read you have a bad Back you need to get the 241C , nice and light I have 2 of them. They cut good too.

I don't think your bars will work on the 241 or 261. They're just too long. (Meaning not enough power.)

If you have the money, get the 241c and have it ported. (Porting is around $300) Member bsnelling can make that 241 scream! MasterMind as well...Many good porters to choose from around here. Good luck.

Edit: If you wanted to keep your costs down; Perhaps a 241c with a simple muffler mod may better suit your needs. You can check it out on YouTube, lots of cool videos.

Pat

I assume the 360 is set up for 3/8ths. Usually a 261 comes with .325 and the 241 comes with 3/8ths low profile. So the short answer is none of the three interchange but that can be changed too.

If you get your 261 set up for 3/8 pitch chain, then you can swap bars with the 360. Not possible with the 241.

Really, the only 3/8 bar that would be of use on a 261 and a 360 would be a 16". A 261 is gonna struggle with a 3/8 bar bigger than that.

Another option would be to swap sprockets on your 360 and run .325 on both the 261 and the 360. Not ideal, and your current bars for the 360 would need new tips also.

If you're looking for a lighter setup, I think a 241 with 12" and 16" lo profile 3/8 bars would be an excellent choice. Then get an 18" or 20" bar for your 360. The laminated rollermatic E bars are considerably lighter, and cheaper, but not as durable. Something to think about anyway.

Back