Ms241 opinions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodboss251

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've never owned a pro saw, always have used the homeowner/farm ranch saws.

What makes the ms241 worth another $200 over the ms251.

Weight and power seem about the same.

What's the advantages of the 241

One is a farm ranch saw the other is a higher quality pro saw. Clamshell style engine vs vertically split magnesium crankcase. Their are many differences not really explained on a spec sheet. Both saws can be a good option for the user depending on the demands the user puts on the saw. Many will suggest quality remains long after price is forgotten. I'd personally take the 241cm over the ms251 any day of the week. But if you only cut a small amount, the 251 may be just fine.

Thanks for the reply cr888

Mainly cutting small stuff 8"-12"

Maybe 8 cords a year at the most.
But, want to make the next saw purchase last a few years.

The 241 would have to be one of Stihl's best products in their range. Rarely do they come up for sale used as those who buy them keep them. They are pricey for a 40cc class saw, but there is nothing else on the market currently that compares. If you want a quality 40cc saw that is cheaper the Dolmar 421 is the saw. Buy the 241 if you can afford it, thank us later.

The 241 would have to be one of Stihl's best products in their range. Rarely do they come up for sale used as those who buy them keep them. They are pricey for a 40cc class saw, but there is nothing else on the market currently that compares. If you want a quality 40cc saw that is cheaper the Dolmar 421 is the saw. Buy the 241 if you can afford it, thank us later.
Damn man your making me want one and I have one already :cheers:

If money is not an issue, grab a 241, with 16 inch B/C and make some chips fly!

Very nice right out of the gate, even better after 8-10 tanks or so. Unexpected power, torque, AV and stingy on fuel.

My 2 cents

Latest posts

Back