ms250 or 260 pro

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cachehunter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i have a chance to buy a new ms 250 or used 260 pro with new bar and chain in good condition for the same price which would you buy and why thanks everybody

What are you using it for? Do you have to have a brand new out of the box saw to satisfy your worries about picking up someone else's problems? If no, then buy the 260, it' ll do everything an 250 will and more. And unless it has seen lots of use, will still likely run longer than the 250. If its in good condition, then its pretty much a no brainer to get a better saw used for the same money as the similar but lower quality and performance saw new.

duh...

260 no question...the 025 is a good little saw, but I've run both, and there's no comparison on performance, not to mention longevity. I have a old 026 from early 80's, and it runs like a new saw...no kidding. I guess the smart thing to do would be check the history of the 260 to make sure it hasn't been abused. Good luck.

Hi cachehunter,

If the 260 Pro is in atleast very good condition I`d opt for it over the 250, although the 250 is a pretty good saw.

I got curious when I saw your handle and looked at your profile, I see that you are also into metal detecting. What type of detectors do you like? I have a Minelab Explorer II with a SunRay X-1 and my son has a yeller feller. Do you ever go to findmall?

Sorry for taking you off topic, but I can talk your ear off about chainsaws if it will make you feel better. :D

Russ

I have an 025 that I bought new in 1997. Still runs great even after having timber fall on it and much abuse under conditions it was not designed for. Much bigger wood, chisel chain etc... Only problems are carb is bad and the handles have seen better days. Compression is still at 90-100PSI. That said the 026 Pro MS260 Pro are far and away better saws and you will have more choices of chain and bar combos because they use the standard mount instead of the mini saw mount. Everyone around here runs them with an 18" sprocketnose and Oregon 35LG or Stihl 26RS. Popular landscaping saw and climbing saw around here.

I would go with the ms 260 pro no doubt I have never used the pro model but I have used a 026 and a ms 250 and the 026 would win hands down. I would defiently go with the 260 pro.

thanks for input, hey joker

thanks everyone i will look the 26 over real good i was thinking that already but wanted everyones thoughts too my main saw is a 046 mag i cut quite a few cord so i wanted a lighter saw for limbing hey joker yes i go to findmal and treasure depot i use a garrett gti 2000 and a cortes and hunt when i get a chance to thanks again

Diesel JD said:
That said the 026 Pro MS260 Pro are far and away better saws and you will have more choices of chain and bar combos because they use the standard mount instead of the mini saw mount. Everyone around here runs them with an 18" sprocketnose and Oregon 35LG or Stihl 26RS. Popular landscaping saw and climbing saw around here.

The 026/260 and 026 Pro/260 Pro are the exact same saw except for the decomp and adjustable oilder on the pro model. The bar mount is the same on both saws. The 025/250 uses the small Stihl mount rather than the standard mount. The decomp is a toss, up, its easier on the saw, but few users really need one to start it. The oiler is also a toss up as many feel the fixed oiler actually puts more oil on the chain. Don't be afraid of a standard 026/260, the differences between it and the pro model are very few.

Latest posts

Back