Ms260 giving me fits

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie294life

Brush Popper and Amateur Tree Butcher
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Rebuilt new p&c pressure tested, rebuilt carbs new fuel line and intake snout, seals. Runs for a while then quits idling. When you jostle it around any at all it wants to die or does die.

Rebuilt new p&c pressure tested, rebuilt carbs new fuel line and intake snout, seals. Runs for a while then quits idling. When you jostle it around any at all it wants to die or does die.
These are known for fuel puddling in the intake if the carb is not set right. Some carbs are worse than others. What carb do you have? Nose down to release the chain brake will usually kill it.

I sent an 026 back to Stihl because of this because the dealer couldn't fix it. Bought a new 260 which had the same problem. Finally called Stihl tech support in VA beach and the dealer swapped the carb out to the older model carb which fixed the issue.

These are known for fuel puddling in the intake if the carb is not set right. Some carbs are worse than others. What carb do you have? Nose down to release the chain brake will usually kill it. Fiddling with the carb didn’t fix the issue. It’s crazy because high speed it seems like it’s doing fine, I cut with it some today just idles like complete garbage

I sent an 026 back to Stihl because of this because the dealer couldn't fix it. Bought a new 260 which had the same problem. Finally called Stihl tech support in VA beach and the dealer swapped the carb out to the older model carb which fixed the issue.
It’s the walbro don’t know which one. How would I set the carb on this? I looked at the default off the manual and that wasn’t it.

Yep, fuel pooling in the intake. It’s a pain in the butt. Lean the L screw as much as you can whilst ensuring it still has good off idle acceleration and doesn’t step down from WOT and keep the idle set screw up a little more than spec, but keeping it below clutch engagement. It’s just one of the 260’s quirks!

Where is Al? He told me about grinding away the intake lip, I’m sure he’s got some good pictures to hand and pics of how the newer intakes have drillings in them to negate this issue!

I hadn’t thought about that but you’re right. I’ll try putting my little flasher online to see if it’s jumping spark when an issue occurs.
I've had only a few issues with an ignition module. One was an MS 661 M-tronic that was almost new. Stihl had trouble with their early releases. The second was a Husqvarna 61 that was old and the larger IM failed. All other electrical problems I've encountered have been failed switches and loose connections. The design of the Stihl MS 261 is not good and designed to get loose and wear out where the metal rod (11) meets the plastic lever (7). It wears too easily and the rod will eventually slip out of the notch on its own with enough vibration:
1644969944012.png
This is likely not the case with the 260 and I have never had trouble with my 026 PRO. Regardless, checking electrical connections and parts is always worthwhile if you suspect any ignition problems. Sometimes the failure does not appear until the saw gets into the cut and is under load. Other times it's a starting or running issue, such as a loose flywheel. Failure to idle corerctly can also be caused by low engine compression.

Sometimes I think that stihl is a cruel joke by the Germans. Make equipment that’s ultra reliable and powerful, but oh by the way make it complicated to next to impossible to work on, so if it does break down you better know what you’re doing.

Sometimes I think that stihl is a cruel joke by the Germans. Make equipment that’s ultra reliable and powerful, but oh by the way make it complicated to next to impossible to work on, so if it does break down you better know what you’re doing.
You must be talking about the newer ones. It seems the older ones are fairly simple to work on..

My 026 since day one has had the exact symptoms. WT194 carb helped a little, but it's still a quirk of these saws. I've learned to gently pick the saw and use gentle motions for a second or two after it's been idling and feather the throttle a lit bit to clear out the puddling before it floods itself and dies.....

I'm one of the thousands of guys, who know what they are doing....whats your point?

Latest posts

Back