Ms260 with 24" bar and chain cutting tree on youtube

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Redfir down: They have a hammer but likely thought the wedge was not enough.

Its pretty hard to tell in the video, but all is well... the tree is on the ground!:msp_smile:

I have done some pretty crazy falls with wedges before! (A really good friend of mine was lead saw on a hot shot crew and he has taught me ALOT in general)

On thing I do is carry a homemade plumb bob in my pocket (A 1/2" nut tied to about 2.5' of string. It really helps you read and tree and see what you can do with it. (Really helpful on steep hill sides, thats where im most likely to get thrown of when reading a tree)

Just food for thought.

Last edited:
A couple of years ago at the Steamup in Brooks Oregon, there was a guy cutting firewood fot the saw boiler and he was using an 026 with 24" bar and it was cutting 12- 20 inch wood surprisingly well. I don't know how and wouldn't have believed it, but I saw it being done.

Redfir down: yeah, hard to see in the video. They have their reason for pushing with skidder. I can ask them.

The plumb bob is great idea that I can use. They have 20 years of reading trees so likely not use. I'll tell them anyways.

I bet you guys do have it down with 20+ years of working in the woods.
The make shift plumb bob is just a helpful tool when your not sure what the tree wants to do. (I mainly use mine when im on steep mountain sides) Its pretty cheap insurance especially when the trees get some size to them, its kept me out of trouble more than once!!

Redfir down: yeah. I think that's a good tool to have. How do you use it?

I usually stand back 50'+ from the tree (depends how big it is) hold on to the end of the string so the nut (just used to weight the string) is hanging making the string perpendicular. Now looking through the string AT the tree you will be able to see what way the tree wants to go.

I usually get 2 reference points, one at 12 o' clock and another at 3 o' clock.
I hope this makes sense.

Ported from the sound of it. Pretty poor cutting though.

It looks to be English Oak if I see those leaves right. So, the cutting wouldn't be too bad. My mildly ported Echo pulled a 20" similarly through E. oak. If it's ash, judging by the color, then that sorta sucks a bit. ;)

Only thing I didnt care for is that a second person put the wedge in the tree and not the cutter himself. Second guy should have established intent before reaching to place that wedge with his hand (Hell saw might have been at idle at that moment). Anyways two pops on that wedge and it would have brought that sucker to the ground.:msp_wink:

Bryanr2: The guy with the saw did ask for a wedge to be placed there. They all work together on each tree and only one tree comes down at a time.

Reindeer: It's ash, and as said earlier, the saw cut the dirt while racing the 660. It's dull. :chainsaw:

Technique looks pretty good, actually, especially the face cut.

I use my 260 w/16" bar in a much different way, though; this week I'm clearing about a 1/2 acre swath at the edge of the neighbor's field and bucking in 8' lengths - 4"-16" dia. maple and pine. Most of the job involves limbing. I'm trying to work efficiently so he'll give me more to do later on (55 acre property), and the 260 is just the ticket. Glad I didn't end up with a 261 because of the weight; was able to put in 7 hrs a couple of days ago. The 440's are in the tool room, waiting for a job with bigger wood.

Bryanr2: The guy with the saw did ask for a wedge to be placed there. They all work together on each tree and only one tree comes down at a time.

Reindeer: It's ash, and as said earlier, the saw cut the dirt while racing the 660. It's dull. :chainsaw:

only one tree at a time? if only one tree came down at a time on my jobs my cutting crew would be looking for new jobs.

Andyshine77: I asked them last night why they didn't use the wedge. They said the could've but we were working on a very hot humid day and the skidder was coming back anyway. So why work harder than have to? They have to carry a big 660 around all day.

C_silva88: it's a 4 man family logging crew, one in the yard, one on skidder and the two cuts the trees down, trim the branches off, trim the bottom and move on to the next tree. They have to put tree down in certain directions as they do selective cutting according to the land owner. At the same time, they have to watch each other. They're still pretty efficient as they use teamwork. They do their very best not to mess up the land owner's land any more than necessary. So the skidder can only go to certain place along the path. They also try and protect healthy growing trees from falling trees. That's how they earn a return job to the same place in the future. They want the land owners to be happy with their work and both the company and land owner can make money. Win win all around.

They are always busy. Only rain stops them.

Every company has their own unique techniques to get the job done providing its safe.

Last edited:
I left you a comment, if speed is your aim, then shorten that bar and sharpen that chain.

Lil left field here, but did anyone see the 192 on eBay forsale with a 24inch bar forsale as a good topping saw??..

Back