MS261 Christmas Present

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last Saturday evening, a lady friend of mine asked me to keep an eye out for a nice used Stihl for her husband's Christmas. She had been looking at a new MS290. A member here helped me locate this saw on CL. I made a deal with the seller, and met and picked up the saw this week. It appears to have only made a few cuts. There's not a scratch on it. I removed the base gasket, advanced the ignition timing, modded the muffler, and pulled the limiter on the carb H needle. I'll be delivering the saw to Mrs. Claus in the morning. Here's the best part. I bought this saw that cost over $600 with tax when new, for $400:clap:

IMG_9917-M.jpg

IMG_9918-M.jpg

IMG_9919-M.jpg

Last edited:
Oooooh, shiny! That's a rockin' deal! Should've had you looking for a 261 for me a few months ago :D.

I have to say only you would get such a steal on that saw. But only you, (or a few others here) would do something that nice for another. You are a class act, and you do look a bit like one of santa's elves.

LOL, I can one up you. I paid $450 for the same thing ..... but all of the same work, plus dual dogs and multiple chains and other goodies were thrown in. Sometimes the deals just hit you in the head and you have to go with the flow.

You did good. What is the difference in cutting times between a fully ported 261 and one with just the base gasket removed, advanced timing and muffler modded?

Sam

What is the difference in cutting times between a fully ported 261 and one with just the base gasket removed, advanced timing and muffler modded?

Sam

I couldn't tell you. I haven't done one up like this before. These are all parts of what I do on a ported one. I just left out the porting. I wasn't asked to do any of this. But, you know me. I can't leave well enough alone:) I left it tuned rich to about 13,700. The guy's not a gear head and this way he won't have to worry about it going lean.

I know my 13 year old boy doesn't like to buck up using the Muffler Modded 261 with 20" 3/8" bar/chain, now that we have the advanced and base gasketed removed and MM'd saw.

You can bog it down, but your getting a little ham fisted to do it.

Today he cut limbs and knots off of about 200 of 265 oak trees we pulled out, and at first he was fueling both 261's and using both until empty, then I noticed that he was just fueling the base gasket and advanced saw and using it solely........... smart boy there, LOL.

Sam

Wasn't there a guy that posted this weekend looking to replace a stolen 028? Maybe keep in the Christmas spirit and offer it to him if he's interested? I don't know.. but I know how you feel. Been stuck like that before myself.

Back