Ms261 won't rev just dies!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there's a fine screen that needs to be clean, no gauze
Well blow me if I haven't gone and lost it. Either it wasn't in there or I lost it. That fine screen isn't in there. Could that cause problems like I'm getting? Just pressure and vac tested and no problems at all.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

No. A screen on the carb isn't going to fix your compression issue, lol.
Got it running. Pressure and vac test was good, cleaned the carb and replaced the screen. Put back together, fired it up and let it idle, still wouldn't rev. So I backed the h screw out very rich and gave it some and it cleared it out, runs beautifully. Checked comp and it was at 125psi this time. So pleased.

But no screen will let lots of crud get into the fine orifices and jets, partially blocking the high speed circuit would cause an engine not to reach its top RPM.
Think you were spot on there. Whatever it is seems to have gone now, I'll test it further at the weeekend.

Think you were spot on there. Whatever it is seems to have gone now, I'll test it further at the weeekend.

I just seen we were both typing and posting at the same time, good you got it going right and also good to have the screen back in the carb.

I just seen we were both typing and posting at the same time, good you got it going right and also good to have the screen back in the carb.
Thankfully a small stash of carbs yielded the fruit today. And being cheap and persistent.

The H needle will be something like 2 1/2 turns out, IIRC.

That`s wrong Brad, the setting would be to rich for a stock factory machine. All the non m-tronic carburetors on the MS 261 have as base tune without limiter caps 1,5 turns out from the completely seated possition on the H screw and 1 on the L. With that the saw should run, if not something else is wrong.

That`s wrong Brad, the setting would be to rich for a stock factory machine. All the non m-tronic carburetors on the MS 261 have as base tune without limiter caps 1,5 turns out from the completely seated possition on the H screw and 1 on the L. With that the saw should run, if not something else is wrong.
I was getting confused with a standard carbed MS201T.

But no screen will let lots of crud get into the fine orifices and jets, partially blocking the high speed circuit would cause an engine not to reach its top RPM.

People bring me saws and weedwhackers that behave that way all the time.

I clean the carb (soak first then flush with carb spray), change the fuel lines and (so far) it has worked almost every time. When it doesn't work, I go through the passages with some thin wire, clean it again, and that gets it running properly.

Then I remind them not to leave fuel in the damn thing over winter...and tell the tool in question that I'll see it again next year.

Glad to see you got it running with just paying attention to a carb problem that couldn't be fixed by simply installing a carb kit. Happens a lot and it often pays to try a new carb before blaming the PC. Compression of 120psi may be low, that just means the saw won't develop maximum power but it should still start and run well. If I relied on compression readings only, half the saws I am using shouldn't run.

People bring me saws and weedwhackers that behave that way all the time.

I clean the carb (soak first then flush with carb spray), change the fuel lines and (so far) it has worked almost every time. When it doesn't work, I go through the passages with some thin wire, clean it again, and that gets it running properly.

Then I remind them not to leave fuel in the damn thing over winter...and tell the tool in question that I'll see it again next year.

Old fuel is killing tons of OPE, even E10 has reached us up here due to our gasoline being shipped in/imported now instead of our own refineries supplying us. Was a time, just a few years back that we could leave fuel mix in a saw or other engine for a couple of years with no ill effects, not now!

Old fuel is killing tons of ***, even E10 has reached us up here due to our gasoline being shipped in/imported now instead of our own refineries supplying us. Was a time, just a few years back that we could leave fuel mix in a saw or other engine for a couple of years with no ill effects, not now!
We (Britain) are very fortunate with fuel as its good quality. I don't get a lot of fuel related problems (except straight fueling or sediment from combi cans) I find the main things I get are broken things, chain breaks and wear and tear.

Old fuel is killing tons of ***, even E10 has reached us up here due to our gasoline being shipped in/imported now instead of our own refineries supplying us. Was a time, just a few years back that we could leave fuel mix in a saw or other engine for a couple of years with no ill effects, not now!

I used to only worry about it in the fall. Now I run my saws dry before putting them every time I use them.

Back