MS271 v 039?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerrit

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, Newbie here.

I cut a lot of firewood for home use, since that's all I use to heat the house. Just a mishmash of old chainsaws that mostly work. If one doesn't, then the next one will. Safety in numbers.

But I have tried the Stihl saws, and that's what I want to buy, and keep my ragtag collection as backups if needed. My local store will sell me a MS271 with 20" bar for around $400. But I've heard some of the older Stihls are better saws. Am I doing better with a good, used Stihl 039 as opposed to the MS271? I see there is a similar thread from some time ago, but the saws aren't the same as the ones I'm asking about.

Thanks for any thoughts--even if they fall outside the scope of my question. I welcome any input.

Gary in Maryland

If you have to have one and. Buy it local get the 039. If you wait a bit you can probably get a 361 or 440/044 for that same price here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. I have a line on an 039 with 20" bar. New cyl and piston. New , not used according to seller. $250 asking price. Anything special I should look for? I can run the saw and cut wood when I check it out.
Thanks again for the help--G in MD

Thanks for the replies. I have a line on an 039 with 20" bar. New cyl and piston. New , not used according to seller. $250 asking price. Anything special I should look for? I can run the saw and cut wood when I check it out.
Thanks again for the help--G in MD

What brand of new piston and cylinder?

Ok fair enough, thanks. I'll see where he is on price and how the saw performs.

That isn’t to beat you or the saw up. But if you rebuild a saw you know the brand unless you put the cheapest possible in it. I’d want oem or at least the Cross performance or meteor top end in it. If you were close to me I have 3 saws in the power range I’d sell you for that and mine are either oem or cross performance

image.jpg Bought the saw. $220. Comes with 20" bar and new chain. Have cut a little wood and I'm happy with it.

Is there any reason I should go back to a Stihl bar as opposed to what's on it? (Other than the Forester bar might be worn out).

Thanks again for the advice.

Gary in MD

Either way, the chain on the saw needs to be sharpened correctly!!!!

Glad you brought up the chain--it is way too sharp. Cuts too fast for me, needs to slow down. Whoa, saw! So, are there some good ways to dull a chain? Was just going to do the tried and true dirt gouging and running it against some rocks. That oughtta slow it down some LOL

Good looking saw, even if it is a stihl.

Wouldn't think the bar is worn out with the way it looks. Google -chainsaw bar dressing- to remove any burrs and keep it in good shape.

Nice saw congrats, nothing wrong with the forester bar check and make sure it's getting oil.
Get out and cut some wood.

Nice looking saw. I have one and comparing it to my MS440 unless you really lean into it not a lot of difference. THe 440 has more torque, but with the 3/8 setup the MS390 will cut good.

Thanks for the replies, looking forward to putting at least a cord of wood behind me and then re-evaluating. I have some big wood here that some tree companies have dropped off--should put it to the test.

Good looking saw, even if it is a stihl.

Wouldn't think the bar is worn out with the way it looks. Google -chainsaw bar dressing- to remove any burrs and keep it in good shape.

Thanks--I see you're a Husky guy. One of my previous saws was a giant Husky, maybe XL series. 32" bar and so heavy I could barely pick it up. Not exactly a homeowner's model. Bought it cheap and finally sold it to the guy who got it running again.

Back