MS290 for $150.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$150 is a good deal on a good running MS290. I sold my used one for I think $275 on evil bay and now got another older version 029 here that runs fine and a 390 cylinder NWP from baileys waiting for it when the time is right:hmm3grin2orange:

Like mentioned open up the exhaust and retune. Even the 029 being a little bit on the smaller cc side is still a strong runner for what it was made for. Great firewood saw.

If it has a good Stihl bar and chain that alone is $35-50 in good shape as far as value goes.

I will be in IL this coming week but a little farther north from you guys. Rochelle,IL and I will be bringing a saw with me as well:hmm3grin2orange:

I would like to see the numbers of how many MS 290 have been sold it might be scary :)

... now got another older version 029 here that runs fine and a 390 cylinder NWP from baileys waiting for it when the time is right:hmm3grin2orange:

Like mentioned open up the exhaust and retune. Even the 029 being a little bit on the smaller cc side is still a strong runner for what it was made for. Great firewood saw.

Question, will a 039/390 cylinder and piston bolt on to the 029 crankcase? is the stroke the
same? I have an older 039, I noticed that the 029/039 shares the same manual. I am still
learning the details of these little 2-cycle machines.

I would like to see the numbers of how many MS 290 have been sold it might be scary :)

According to a number of Stihl dealer I've talked to, Stihl sells more 250's and 290's than all of their other models combined. There's a reason for that. Without getting in to the Ford versus Chevy thing, they're darn nice saws. But so are all the other saws available. We're lucky to have so many really fine choices.

Don <><

Question, will a 039/390 cylinder and piston bolt on to the 029 crankcase? is the stroke the
same? I have an older 039, I noticed that the 029/039 shares the same manual. I am still
learning the details of these little 2-cycle machines.

The 039 top end will be a direct replacement for this saw as they are the same. bottom end. I don't think there is even a difference from 290 verse 029 other than cyclinder size which I believe are interchangable unless someone else says otherwise.

The 039 top end will be a direct replacement for this saw as they are the same. bottom end. I don't think there is even a difference from 290 verse 029 other than cyclinder size which I believe are interchangable unless someone else says otherwise.

After I posted my question, and I believe you are correct, my old 029/039 manual
as well as the new MS290/310/390 shows all the same specs except for bore diameter.

Well I now own four chainsaws, I spent the $150 for it.
Started on the third pull. Sounded great no apperant
issues. Pulled the muffler, did not see any scoring. Also
picked up 240 rounds of 5.56×45mm NATO M855 (not
Lake City) for $20.

Last edited:
For what it is worth this is Stihls best seller.As to the "SawTroll" pay no mind to him.In Norway the Vikings used to wear helmets with horn on the sides. The "Troll" has his pointing forward and backwards, as his manner on this saw.We use a 029 here in our fire department and id does get abuse but still keeps on truckin, Ken

Well the retail cost of all of the parts that comprise the MS290 is over $1700, so I can always sell those parts a bit cheaper......

For what it is worth this is Stihls best seller.As to the "SawTroll" pay no mind to him.In Norway the Vikings used to wear helmets with horn on the sides. The "Troll" has his pointing forward and backwards, as his manner on this saw.We use a 029 here in our fire department and id does get abuse but still keeps on truckin, Ken

Everyone is entitled to their opinion even if they are wrong... LOL:hmm3grin2orange:

I wish I knew...

well where did you scrape up her pic from?

240208d1338671273-picture11-jpg

Well the retail cost of all of the parts that comprise the MS290 is over $1700, so I can always sell those parts a bit cheaper......

I figure I have enough parts now to build two 290 - 310 - 390 series saw's but I have to get the first one running :)

Man were is my Stihl Calender at :)

Latest posts

Back