MS290 (No) Starting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehgauss

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have two MS290s that I use for firewood and clearing some land. Both have given me the same problem, twice on the older one, and once on the newer. Each time it happened when trying to start shortly after a normal shutdown. They act as if there's no compression. The starter rope pulls much more easily than normal. I can pull my brains out, and nothing happens. If I set that saw aside and use the other, and come back the next day, starting is normal and everything is fine again for weeks. Since Stihl in its infinite wisdom doesn't make IPLs available except to dealers, I have no way of diagnosing, other than tearing into them, but I'm reluctant to do that while they're working well otherwise. My guess would be some kind of automatic compresion release sticking open. Can anyone give me some ideas for what to look for and where?

Your starter pawls are probably hanging up in the starter. Pull the starter off and clean the whole thing out good and spray with a multi purpose oil. If the starter pawls look warn replace them.

Brad, The pawls are engaging (they're new) and the engine is really turning over, but much more easily than it should. Does the MS290 have automatic compression release?

Back