MS290 parts question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildnCrazyGuy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Sorry guys. I'm trying to do two things at once here. Learn to post pics the right way and figure out if these MS290 parts are worth the trouble... Here goes.

attachment.php

Busted air filter cover. Epoxy is setting now. Think plastic epoxy will hold for something like this? Or a waste of time?

attachment.php

Saw in a box. These are the remaining pieces that are going in the dump. Nothing else to salvage really...

attachment.php

Not a great pic, but you can probably see where it's busted. One of the reasons I didn't use the case below is because the original owner said all the fuel leaked out after it was busted. I saw the cracks in the case, and they looked much worse when the saw was dirty. I even thought a couple of case seams were cracks too. More to come on the case. After cleaning the case up, I think this was the real culprit of the gas leak.

attachment.php

Case. Cleaned up pretty good. The reason I didn't use it on my rebuild saw was it had a crack in it around the filler. Detailed pic to come. Otherwise, case is fine.

attachment.php

Detailed pics of filler cracks next.

Last edited:
attachment.php

Is this fixable with some seal all or equivalent? Or at least look like it might not dribble all over. Cracks at 10 and about 6:30. Worth the time to fix a bit? Then I might send it out on fleabay or something. Maybe someone can try it...

attachment.php

Last edited:
If I had cleaned the tank up before I went and got my new parts, I probably would have tried to use it... But I figured it for dead anyway, then I started looking at it more closely.

Last edited:
The last think I want to have happen while cutting with a 12000 RPM engine in my hands with a 15k ignition module firing the spark plug 200 times a second and a hot muffler that has probably been modified and does not have a spark screen in it is a fuel leak because the pookie I used to try to fix a crack in the tank came loose!
Whew that was a lot, wasn't it???
So do the safe thing and fix it right.
We have seen enough pictures of accidents and injuries on here without having to add burns to the list.

The last think I want to have happen while cutting with a 12000 RPM engine in my hands with a 15k ignition module firing the spark plug 200 times a second and a hot muffler that has probably been modified and does not have a spark screen in it is a fuel leak because the pookie I used to try to fix a crack in the tank came loose!
Whew that was a lot, wasn't it???
So do the safe thing and fix it right.
We have seen enough pictures of accidents and injuries on here without having to add burns to the list.

So the cracked case is toast? My MS290 is rebuilt with new parts. Just wondering if this could be salvaged. Didn't look that bad after I started looking at it. Will probably throw some water in the tank and let it sit overnight with a cap on it to see if it leaks any. I bet it doesn't leak, but you guys have seen more of these than I. If the water doesn't leak, then I'll toss a tankfull of gas mix in to see what it does. I'm just curious. I bet that O ring seals up the filler cap so it doesn't leak. My worry is that crack down from 6:30, if anything seaps from that. Thanks.

Last edited:
Nevermind. Looks like a browser issue and www. prefix. I edited and saved and looks ok now. Should be ok on my Home PC browser too.

Let's see a pic of the "fixed" saw!!

And how did you clean up the old crankcase??? Dishwasher??

You could get $100 dollars on e-bay as is, being that clean and all!!!!!

Mention the cracks, but don't dwell on them............

Seriously, that is one clean crankcase, looks better than my new ones....

Let's see a pic of the "fixed" saw!!

And how did you clean up the old crankcase??? Dishwasher??

You could get $100 dollars on e-bay as is, being that clean and all!!!!!

Mention the cracks, but don't dwell on them............

Seriously, that is one clean crankcase, looks better than my new ones....

Yea. Getting to that pic. Still need to take the pic of the rebuild. But cleaning the crankcase, a little elbow grease and some greased lightning, oh, and a stiff toothbrush. Took all of about 10 minutes. I really should have taken a before pic. Imagine one of the cruddiest, then it was 10 times worse than that. No exaggeration.

Last edited:
Yea. Getting to that pic. Still need to take the pic of the rebuild. But cleaning the crankcase, a little elbow grease and some greased lightning, oh, and a stiff toothbrush. Took all of about 10 minutes. I really should have taken a before pic. Imagine one of the cruddiest, then it was 10 times worse than that. No exaggeration.

Fish. Cleaner was Greased Lightning... Are you saying that's rebranded 409 or something?

For your viewing pleasure. Thanks for all the replacement parts. They worked great! Stihl MS290 from parts in a box to a pretty strong runner. Only 140 lbs. compression. Was a little disappointed with that, but the rings looked great so I figured I could reuse them. Probably my compression tester. I think it reads a little low. Got the schrader valve and all, but... That old FS36 reads at 85 lbs. It's not supposed to run that low, right? Runs better than the day I got it back about 17-18 years ago.

Anyway, here are the pics of my new busted saw. And next I'll post a pic or two of my other MS290 that came in the box that was supposedly blown. It's got 135 lbs. Mind you, these 2 saws were in as many pieces as there are parts on a MS290... The guy I paid 50.00 for them started to try to do what I did. :clap: Not too bad for 50.00 for what I ended up with. Sure, I had to invest some more money on some parts, but 2 MS290's for less than 200.00 total investment... not bad. I could probably sell one and make money and have the other to boot.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

My other MS290 that came in the box. It's an older model. The guy I bought it from was going to use as a parts saw to fix the other one, but they both turned out just fine...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice starter recoil, huh? Works perfect...now. The guy couldn't get the clutch and flywheel off, so he heard of a rope trick. Since he didn't have any rope, guess what he used... Yep. Cut the handle off too... The knot was too stiff I guess. I guess he figured it was a parts saw anyway and he already had a good recoil. So I got this spring trying to go everywhere but where it needs to go. That took me like 30 minutes to get in. Oh, and a new rope at like $1.25 for a few feet or so. But works great now.

I see what you mean. Probably is and THANKS for pointing that out. Will definitely get that fixed. Must have not noticed it, but have noticed a wierd feeling when using it like something was amiss, not screwed in right, but I thought it felt more in the lower part of that handle back where the carb adjustment screws are. Everytime I checked those mounts they look good... I bet that AV mount is what I'm feeling. You're good!

Back