MS290 two stroking and losing gas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dallypost

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just set out to get wood for the winter. MS 290 ran great one month ago. I filled both tanks and fired it up. In the time it took to cut one five inch branch, the saw started running rough. It sounded like it was two stroking like when at full throttle with no resistance, but it kept getting worse. Finally the saw died. I could choke it and pull a few times then restart without a problem. Within about 30 seconds, it started the whole thing again. I thought maybe a bad fuel filter so I opened the fuel cap and was supersized to find that half of the fuel was gone. There is no evidence that gas was running out of the saw anywhere. Could it be in the crank case? Keep in mind that the saw only ran for a total of a few minutes.

I fired it back up and ran it for a few minutes. This time I could see gas vapor coming off the saw near the chain sprocket. Removed that cover and noted that all the sawdust underneath was soaked in fuel. Pulled the air cleaner and that compartment fuel soaked as well. Opened the tank and noted again that much more fuel is now gone. Since the fuel line is a suction vs pressure affair, will a cracked line account for all the missing fuel? I was surprised that I was supersized.

Make sure that the screws holding the carb together are tight.

Back