MS311 and MS362 parts interchangeable?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdowney

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently discovered I got bamboozled on at least one 'MS362'. I purchased two saws that were supposed to be MS362's(badges missing..). Just took the cylinder off the one and it is a clamshell, do some research and realize the MS311 looks very similar to the MS362. I purchased parts below for the MS362:

Clutch
Rim sprocket kit(drum, bearing, rim sprocket)
Muffler

I put all these parts on the saw and they seem to fit. Muffler fit a tad strange when I put on, now I know why. My question is, can I leave these parts on? Are they interchangeable/upgraded parts? I will be selling the saws, so want them to be done right. Also, are there any obvious ways to tell a 311, 391, and 362 apart without badges?

Thanks

Last edited:
The case is magnesium on the 362, while it is plastic on the 311 and 391, and the 311/391 will be a heavier (the 390 is totally different, I assume you meant 391).

A lot of parts will be the same though - others will know the details better than me......

Last edited:
The case is magnesium on the 362, while it is plastic on the 311 and 391, and the 311/391 will be a heavier (the 390 is totally different, I assume you meant 391).

A lot of parts will be the same though - others will know the details better than me......
Yes, I meant 391, edited post. Thanks for those differences, I don't want to make same mistake again.

The rear handle on a MS 261, 362, 441, 461, 661, 880 is grey with a black top. The rear handle on a MS 251, 271, 291, 311, 391 are all grey. But that's too easy.

Saw troll is correct, the plastic cased saws will have terrible power to weight ratios and be too difficult to work on.

The rear handle on a MS 261, 362, 441, 461, 661, 880 is grey with a black top. The rear handle on a MS 251, 271, 291, 311, 391 are all grey. But that's too easy.

Saw troll is correct, the plastic cased saws will have terrible power to weight ratios and be too difficult to work on.

Yes, and the color of the rear handle can't always be trusted...

X. I just dont find the "too difficult to work on" part to be true. It depends on what you are trying to repair. The saws actually break down easily and to do a complete rebuild its actually easier because you dont have to split the case. New seals on a clam are about as easy as can be. They are just different not "difficult" to me.

Many legendary saws were of the clamshell design.
Split case saws are so easy, no wonder that is all most dealers/shops want to putz with!

X. I just dont find the "too difficult to work on" part to be true. It depends on what you are trying to repair. The saws actually break down easily and to do a complete rebuild its actually easier because you dont have to split the case. New seals on a clam are about as easy as can be. They are just different not "difficult" to me.

Sometimes I fall into perpetuating the stereotype. I enjoy a good challenging repair sometimes too! I can recall a nice super2 from my past... Clam motor, clam cases, clam oiler: a real trifecta!

Thanks all for tips on distinguishing between the saws. Based on the rear handle colors, the other one is also a 311 or a 391. Will have to check bore diameter to determine that difference. Unless there is a way to tell those apart visually?

Any suggestions if the parts are interchangeable/compatible?

Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Sometimes I fall into perpetuating the stereotype. I enjoy a good challenging repair sometimes too! I can recall a nice super2 from my past... Clam motor, clam cases, clam oiler: a real trifecta!
Man, if we all got that much clam on a regular basis, we wouldn't need AS :)

Thanks all for tips on distinguishing between the saws. Based on the rear handle colors, the other one is also a 311 or a 391. Will have to check bore diameter to determine that difference. Unless there is a way to tell those apart visually?

Any suggestions if the parts are interchangeable/compatible?

Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
The311/391 are externally the same saw. If no stickers are present you are going to have to run the serial number or measure the bore. 311 is 47mm and 391 is 49mm. The serial number is stamped into the plastic to the recoil side of the muffler. They can be tough to see, so you may need to clean it up. If you want the numbers ran, you can PM me.

Decided to check bore diameter, appears I have two 311's.

Looking closer at muffler, we realized there was a gap. So the 362 muffler does not fit a 311 well. So just have to compare clutch and sprocket drum visually to see if similar in size.

I haven't contacted him yet to see if he knew. Have to see if I still have his number, was a couple months ago I bought them. Either way, I'll still make a profit on them both, so I'm not too pissed.

I'm confused here. You bought what was suppose to be 2 362's and you ended up with 2 311's and your not pissed???? Post a picture of the saws that you bought.

I am still pissed, but I will still turn a profit so I'm better off than it could've been. What helps it slightly is I got a 290 with deal.

To break it down I payed $400 for two 311's(thought were 362's) and a 290. Sold the 290 for $200, didn't need a thing. For the other two: One needed muffler and sprocket kit other needed clutch sprocket kit and just found out needs base gasket cleaned and resealed.

So I may have to sell a few 362 parts and get correct ones for the 311, but that shouldn't be too hard. And should be able to sell the 311's for decent amount. Not as much as I was expecting, but still a profit. Pic of all three attached.
hatysyga.jpg

I am still pissed, but I will still turn a profit so I'm better off than it could've been. What helps it slightly is I got a 290 with deal.

To break it down I payed $400 for two 311's(thought were 362's) and a 290. Sold the 290 for $200, didn't need a thing. For the other two: One needed muffler and sprocket kit other needed clutch sprocket kit and just found out needs base gasket cleaned and resealed.

So I may have to sell a few 362 parts and get correct ones for the 311, but that shouldn't be too hard. And should be able to sell the 311's for decent amount. Not as much as I was expecting, but still a profit. Pic of all three attached. ......

Obviously a load of crap, but it still will catch some money from uninformed victims on E-bay! :rolleyes:

What legendary saws is that about? o_O

Well....without a doubt the 029/290 is. Whether it meets YOUR specs is in question for but the millions of owners who have owned one and many BTU's of firewood they have produced...it is a legendary product.

Hook baited, line on drag, pole on stand....beer in hand.

Latest posts

Back