MS360 new top end + port and MM

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Change the crank seals they said, it'll be easy they said! Lol flywheel side was a *****.... other side easy to get out. One I figure out how to remove the crank bearings I'll clean and grease them. My solder is 0.090"... guess I'll use some putty...

MS360 Pro
MS170
009L
Central Boiler CL5036 heating my house, water and 30x40 shop
04 Ram 3500 Cummins QCLB flatbed 4wd
Custom built 4wd Lawn Boy garden tractor with a slew of attachments
Jacobsen Turf Cat T422D with Kubota D950 22hp diesel 72" mower soon to be building splitter attachment (13 gpm single stage 4" cylinder)

Sorry about the signature... ring ends line up on intake side correct? I know how it was before but that's no assurance since it didn't hold up.

Yes, ring-ends are on the intake side as they are on nearly every other saw.
Thank you, I assumed so but better safe than sorry. Squish I had to use putty, a bit unscientific I suppose but it was 0.020" roughly. Best method I got here... flange sealant on it's way here, I'm putting the rest together now. What's the weird metal tang with a loop that goes between the oil pump and clutch?

If your squish was at .020" then there is no need to remove the base gasket. The gasket is 0.020", if removed that would give you 0.00000 squish.

That was without the gasket sorry lol I didn't mention that part... well I took my time and double triple checked everything along the way and although I didn't have time to get it tuned in perfect, or mod the muffler, I did get to fire it up. She sounds pretty mean! Made my heart pound to hear it pop off right away! Helluva lot of saw after starting to get used to my little ones again lol

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH FOR ALL THE HELP! Sorry for the "newbie" questions, 2 strokes are a bit foreign to me, now I'm pretty comfortable with them. Tomorrow compression test and tuning. I even have a tach to use... this 24" bar is a huge and heavy jump from the 18"... I may have to get a RS chain for the 18" bar... also thinking I may need a new clutch bearing, it just doesn't quite wanna stop all the way no matter how low idle is.... was like that before. I cleaned and greased the bearing but doesn't seem to have helped enough. And I have a bar oil leak (still) maybe now that everything got cleaned good I can diagnose that and get it fixed. Can't wait to get this thing in the wood!

Thanks again! I learn something new everytime I get on here, I love that about it! I greatly appreciate the fast responses earlier about the squish! This cylinder doesn't have compression release, I can definitely feel the compression lol I was pretty shocked when it popped off pretty much the first pull and idled on it's own like it'd never been apart..

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1424233643446.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1424233643446.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 36
  • uploadfromtaptalk1424233657064.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1424233657064.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 31
  • uploadfromtaptalk1424233666543.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1424233666543.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 29
If the chain wants to keep turning at low idle, 1st you should clean out clutch drum. If that isn't it you need new clutch springs, or possibly new clutch.

Most likely springs though

It's all as clean as it's gonna get... every part of this saw got cleaned with a fine tooth comb yesterday. The clutch was pretty strong before, sounds like I'll order a new bearing and springs to be safe. Thanks, I didn't think about the springs. They looked ok so I didn't think much bout em.

You need new springs, that's all.

The tach should not be used to set the WOT. Since you deleted the base gasket the factory numbers become moot. You will need to tune it by ear. Did you mod the muffler? This thread has gotten so long I don't remember. If not, it should be on your to-do list for tomorrow.

Thanks murph, works out because I remembered I've lost the lead for my tach anyway :-( it's the Echo PET-1100 nifty little unit..

Muffler mod is on tomorrow's to-do list before tuning, ran out of time tonight.

Thanks murph, works out because I remembered I've lost the lead for my tach anyway :-( it's the Echo PET-1100 nifty little unit..

Muffler mod is on tomorrow's to-do list before tuning, ran out of time tonight.
Be sure to post up some pics of that muffler mod :D these are two that I have done to the 036, the first is a single larger pipe, and dual on the bottomimage.jpg image.jpg

Thanks for the pictures I had been contemplating how to do it, that gives me ideas.. Looks good! I see you went larger then added a second one, was one big one just not enough? Did you remove the baffle or just Swiss cheese the crap out of it?
Thanks!

How much is too much for my setup? 75% of the exhaust port is the right amount correct?

MS360 Pro
MS170
009L
Jacobsen Turf Cat T422D with Kubota D950 22hp diesel 72" mower soon to be building splitter attachment (13 gpm single stage 4" cylinder)

How much is too much for my setup? 75% of the exhaust port is the right amount correct?

MS360 Pro
MS170
009L
The bigger you go the louder it gets. Just that simple:yes: Louder does not equal more power:chop:

Latest posts

Back