MS360 Pro?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihlBoy440

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
hey guys got a stupid question for you, I am looking at a MS360 Pro do they have semi transparent fuel tanks and will my 20" bar from my MS440 work on it, thanks!

Yes the ms 360s I have used do have the trasparent fuel tank as does the ms 361. Also yes your 20 inch bar from your ms 440 will work perfectly on the ms 361.

The bar will fit the 360, but it probably has a small spline cluch, so you can not use the sprockets intended for the 440.

I don't know about the tank.

Edit;
I was probably wrong about the spline size.

Last edited:
what do you mean small spline clutch, if it has a 3/8 chain will it work. and Dan it is a 360 not a 361 do they use alot of the same frame and what nots, thanks

Thanks that is nice to hear so my toasted 440 is not a total waste, atleast I can use the sprockets and chain and bar and do you know if the dawgs from a 440 will work on a 360 I have some on the 440 from a 064 that are really nice and big and I love them they might be too much for the little 360 though

well it was a used saw and must have been rebuilt but the end of the crank where the recoil/flywheel is bolted to sheered off after a year of pulling on it, this model is the one without the compression release dont know if that was a problem so now it is all tore apart and yes I am willing to sell it or any part you may want from it, it was a screamer out cut my buddies MS460 and another buddies 064 numerous times!

I have no clue what it is worth it will be just the power head minus dawgs and you will pay shipping you give me a reasonable offer and i will box it up

Chopwood said:
Has a regular (large) spline clutch, at least mine does.
I consulted some IPLs, and they told me that both options have been available for the 036/360.
On a 360, it probably has the large spline as you said, unless someone has changed it out to run a .325x8 (or .325x7) sprocket on the saw.

I have a 360 Pro that came with the large spline clutch wheel and a 3/8x7 drive sprocket and a 3/8x.63 chain and a 3/8x.63 bar. That's how it came from Stihl dealer. I swapped out the bar and chain to 3/8x.050.

If you want to run a .325 chain and bar on it, you have to buy the .325x9T drive sprocket for it, which I did for the heck of it. And the .325x9T drive sprocket is so large that you will then have to add a link or two to your normal chain size (69 links instead 67 on a 16" bar) to compensate for its larger size. But, that large sprocket on a 16" bar really makes the chain fly. Put a square chisel chain on it and file down the rakers (yes on a new chain) and it goes through this hard as a rock dead Oak like nobodys business.

since you own both a 360 and 361 what are the major differences between the 2 and which do you like better also it looks like from what I have seen that the clutch cover on the 360 will accept dawgs and the 361 does not haev factory mounting holes for them is this right?

The two are very similar except for the anti vibration features of the 361. I've just been emotionally attached to the 360 Pro for some time and have not been able to turn lose of it. I cannot respond to the dawg questions as the bark of our local Oaks is pretty thin and the stock dawgs are more than adequate for our needs.

if I remember right the 360 specs stated it could handle a longer bar than the 361 is there any real truth to the power or was Stihl just more generous on the ratings because it seems there other saws have not changed any but there has not been a new model really other than the 361 in a few years and I am meaning the Pro saws.

StihlBoy440 said:
if I remember right the 360 specs stated it could handle a longer bar than the 361 is there any real truth to the power or was Stihl just more generous on the ratings because it seems there other saws have not changed any but there has not been a new model really other than the 361 in a few years and I am meaning the Pro saws.

Forget the "paper spec" when it come to bar length. It's just Stihl (and others) testing kickback only on certain lengths. Bar length IN WOOD would be a better gauge. I find the 361 has slightly more torque than the 360, but both are fine saws.

Last edited:
I like the 360. What I've done with a couple of them is to swap out the half-wrap handlebar with a full-wrap from an 044/046, swap out the small clutch cover for the bigger one from a full-wrap 044/046/066, then put 044/066 dual dogs (not 046, the outer dog is longer and won't line up), a 28" bar, and punch out the muffler. It's a great combo, and uses all OEM parts. fishhuntcutwood's 361 is pretty sick too, but if your 044 is a full wrap and is junk, you could make a 360 into a West Coast faller's small saw wet dream.

West Texas, I don't know what you're talking about the 360 and the 361 being "the same saw"... well, I dunno, I guess the 361 only has a different crankcase, rear handle/gas tank, top handle, carb, plastic, clutch cover, cylinder, piston, air filter, muffler... but other than that, I guess they probably run the same clutch, and maybe the same starter. That's worse than saying the 044 and 046 are "the same saw". They both are great mid size saws though.

Back