MS360 Pro?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well tek9tim, being as I've got both saws and use them both extensively, I think I can safely say they are similar saws in overall performance. And being as my 360 Pro is a late model, there are not as many physical differences as you imply. The 044 and 046 are two different saw; whereas, the 361 is the follow on to the 360 Pro. As Simon would say "Cheers"

tek9tim said:
IWest Texas, I don't know what you're talking about the 360 and the 361 being "the same saw"... well, I dunno, I guess the 361 only has a different crankcase, rear handle/gas tank, top handle, carb, plastic, clutch cover, cylinder, piston, air filter, muffler... but other than that, I guess they probably run the same clutch, and maybe the same starter. That's worse than saying the 044 and 046 are "the same saw". They both are great mid size saws though.

You'll find even the starter and clutch are different! yes, similar performance, but almost nothing is interchangeble.. The clutch is from the 044!

cool this is the greatest site ever atleast pertaining to chainsaws! I have made my mind I am gonna be the prowd owner of a 360 pro, thanks guys for all the convincing data and what nots!

West Texas said:
The two are very similar except for the anti vibration features of the 361. .....
The air filtration has also been reported to be much improved on the 361 vs. the 360.

Lakeside53 said:
..... I find the 361 has slightly more torque than the 360, but both are fine saws.
Max power output is about the same, and at the same rpms.

That is where the similarities of the engines stop.
The slightly smaller engine of the 361 is a totally new 4 channel design, and is reported to have a wider useful power band.
I have seen some complaints in the past regarding the 036/360s lack of "low end" - but none so far regarding the 361.

Last edited:
West Texas said:
And the .325x9T drive sprocket is so large that you will then have to add a link or two to your normal chain size (69 links instead 67 on a 16" bar) to compensate for its larger size. But, that large sprocket on a 16" bar really makes the chain fly.
The 3/8"x8 has very close to the same diameter as the .325x9, and result in the same chain speed with fewer cutters.
It works really well in smaller wood with a 15" bar on my stock Eu version of the 361. Standard lenght chain works just fine in 3/8".....

In larger wood it seem to be a toss-up which is fastest of 7 or 8 pin.
Provided Stihl RS chain is used, the .325 setup should be fastest in small wood, but also lose its pace faster as the wood gets bigger.

Some time in the future I plan to try a .325x9 with narrow kerf bar and 95VP chain.....:blob2:

I cant remember what the weight differences are between the 360 and 361 I think the 360 is a hair lighter, plus i like the clutch cover that is already dawg ready

StihlBoy440 said:
I cant remember what the weight differences are between the 360 and 361 I think the 360 is a hair lighter, plus i like the clutch cover that is already dawg ready
At least over here it is the 361 that is a hair lighter than the 360, but the US ones has been reported to be slightly heavier the ours, maybe because the crap inside the muffler????

West Texas said:
..... And the .325x9T drive sprocket is so large that you will then have to add a link or two to your normal chain size (69 links instead 67 on a 16" bar) to compensate for its larger size. .......
That adds up.
My catalog list 68 dl for the 361 with 16" .325, and 67 dl for the 360 and all smaller saws with the same bar.
As the 360 and all the smaller ones has splines that take .325x8 and 7 here in Norway, and the 361 has the large one that only take the 9-pin in .325, I assume that is the reason for the difference.
There is no difference listed with 16" 3/8".

Back