MS361 Big Bore Kit Review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't toss anything... test it un-ported as it came in the kit. If it fails, it fails and is then shown as a weakness. Unless of course, you paid for the P&C or are keeping it after the testing is done and would like to minimize the chance that something catastrophic happens. I doubt anything will happen anyway, at least in a short term test. Long term might be another story though. Yank it apart and replace the suspect bits and pieces afterward.

JMO,
Ian
I will be putting it together stock.

Doesn't help the guy with a toasted pin though...

Did they send you a new coated metal cylinder base gasket?
Fair enough. I'll put it together with the pin it came with. No it doesn't come with a gasket. Why all the hate? It is what it is. If the Stihl is that much better, it'll show for itself. I didn't come on here to tell you guys this is the best thing since sliced bread. I'm simply showing you what should soon be available to the end user. Options are good. I have nothing to gain here, nothing to loose. If this thing fails, you'll know about it. If it doesn't and runs well...then there's an option that will only cost about 40% of OEM.

There's no hate... but I do hate seeing stuff that so easy to make right, and year later they still don't...

Are you really going to put a binding piston in that cylinder?

There's no hate... but I do hate seeing stuff that so easy to make right, and year later they still don't...

Are you really going to put a binding piston in that cylinder?

It's not binding unless you twist it 45* or so. That can't happen in operation. I really don't think it's an issue. If it is, it'll tell me soon enough:)

It's not binding unless you twist it 45* or so. That can't happen in operation. I really don't think it's an issue. If it is, it'll tell me soon enough:)

Try that with an oem... To me it's an indicator of poor QA. I can't figure the math after three beers, but at some point is real close when not 45...

Last edited:
Thank you for the detailed information, Mr. Snelling.:clap:

I don't own a 361, so I have no dog in this fight, but I am interested in the general quality of the parts that Bailey's offers. From what I have seen and read, the Bailey's pistons seem to be quite a bit better than Golf parts.

Draw a picture of an oval inside a circle. Rotate that oval... What happens?

I gotcha. It only does it on the skirt of the piston where it's larger. Additionaly, the piston never contacts the corners of the skirts of the cylinder that protrudes into the case. The skirt of the piston is narrower than the skirts of the cylinder.

I think this is an awesome option just for the people who come across blown up 361s. Now you can get a new top end for more than half off an OEM set. Are they OEM quality, no. No one said they were either. These will be a great bang for the buck. I am interested in how they will run. The current BBs are known for lots of torque, large squish and not a ton of RPMs.

No hatin' Brad... just hope it comes together as a decent budget option. But... I've seen what happens first hand with some of the big bore kits and stock aftermarket kits...

I'm not all that impressed... but again, that's just me. :)

Gary

Soooooo, if an 039 top can fit on an 029, will this new kit fit any other saws besides the 361?

Latest posts

Back