MS361 Cylinder base cracked/separated......anyone ever seen this before?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PogoInTheWoods

Don't forget about the alligators...
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
This cylinder came off the saw this way. Piston and rings look fine except for normal wear. Same for the inside of the cylinder. Any thoughts on how this could happen? I'm certainly scratching my head over it...:msp_confused:

It came from a tree service guy who is pretty hard on his stuff, but there aren't any signs of it being dropped, run over, or anything along those lines. He did take it to a local Stihl shop who told him it was "burnt up". And fwiw, one of the base bolts was very loose, but the other three were torqued down tight and there wasn't any evidence of the cylinder being removed prior to me pulling it.

I'm wondering if maybe the casting had a hairline crack and I pushed it over the edge by using the "rope in the jug" piston stop method when trying to loosen the flywheel nut?

Thoughts and comments welcomed....and a MS361 jug if anyone happens to have a spare just laying around collecting dust!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Maybe a year or so ago I saw an 084 that was broken in a similar fashon. Rope in the cylinder in order to remove the clutch and repair the oiler. They used a breaker bar on the clutch. Popped the cylinder.

One loose cylinder mount and three were still torqued.

Saw ran before the bench beating, P/C WERE minty fresh. Piston was reuseable.

Ropes are for starters.

Piston stops are paper weights.

Last edited:
Looks like a fatigue failure starting at the corner of the transfer port. Crack progressed over time as the surface is dark/dirty untill there was not enuff material holding it and it ruptured abruptly. Clean shiny break at the end.

I would think it would have sucked air and caused trouble earlier.

I have a perfect cond. Lombard jug that some idiot broke the corner off of by useing an object above the piston but failed to remove one nut.

I'll vote the rope trick.................................................................

How's that for changing my mind half way thru...............................................

Last edited:
Cast zinc will do that. :msp_tongue: Trade it for a 562xp. Sorry, just yankin' your chain!

Saw ran before the bench beating, P/C WERE minty fresh. Piston was reuseable.

This one barely pulled 60psi when it hit my bench, so the problem was already there to the extent of no compression for some reason and a blip or two with an impact wrench certainly wasn't gonna bust the flywheel nut loose. I'm putting my money on the base already being cracked.

Last edited:
Looks like a fatigue failure starting at the corner of the transfer port. Crack progressed over time as the surface is dark/dirty untill there was not enuff material holding it and it ruptured abruptly. Clean shiny break at the end.

It looks that way, but it could be just the lighting in the picture?

Btw, is this a Mahle cylinder?

This cylinder came off the saw this way. Piston and rings look fine except for normal wear. Same for the inside of the cylinder. Any thoughts on how this could happen? I'm certainly scratching my head over it...:msp_confused:

It came from a tree service guy who is pretty hard on his stuff, but there aren't any signs of it being dropped, run over, or anything along those lines. He did take it to a local Stihl shop who told him it was "burnt up". And fwiw, one of the base bolts was very loose, but the other three were torqued down tight and there wasn't any evidence of the cylinder being removed prior to me pulling it.

I'm wondering if maybe the casting had a hairline crack and I pushed it over the edge by using the "rope in the jug" piston stop method when trying to loosen the flywheel nut?

Thoughts and comments welcomed....and a MS361 jug if anyone happens to have a spare just laying around collecting dust!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Was a casting flaw right from the factory if you look at the dirty part its been an on going crack for as long as the saw has been made! The dirty part tells the real story its old and shows gas n oil leakage going on for a very long time and over the life of the saw it just kept growing the crack till it let go.

Was a casting flaw right from the factory if you look at the dirty part its been an on going crack for as long as the saw has been made! The dirty part tells the real story its old and shows gas n oil leakage going on for a very long time and over the life of the saw it just kept growing the crack till it let go.

You changed my mind again...............................:laugh:

I'd be calling Stihl tech support and seeing if there is any chance of a goodwill replacement on that one. It sure looks like a casting defect to me. You never know.

Latest posts

Back