MS361 Cylinder base cracked/separated......anyone ever seen this before?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had this happen a few different times, but it was in saws that were up in the 210ish range of compression and happened after about six months of use, luckily they were my saws.

The un-torqued bolt could've easily caused the initial fracture to develop. I've been trying to remove a flywheel off a chink saw but I couldn't make it budge, I was fearing a similar outcome (or a bent rod) if I kept going on using the rope in the cylinder, I think I need to get an impact wrench for my air compressor... thoughts?

The un-torqued bolt could've easily caused the initial fracture to develop. I've been trying to remove a flywheel off a chink saw but I couldn't make it budge, I was fearing a similar outcome (or a bent rod) if I kept going on using the rope in the cylinder, I think I need to get an impact wrench for my air compressor... thoughts?

I bought a little 3/8" drive pneumatic impact for that job only and it works great! ebay $35. You still have to be smarter than what you're working with, though! :hmm3grin2orange:

Not all OEM cylinders are Mahle. If it is mahle, it will say that in clean text on it.....

And all this time I thought they used Chop Suey Mfg! Silly me.

But I don't think too many domestic (US) 361's had anything but these. I know 440's and 460's sported Gilardoni for a time, but I haven't seen anything indicating that the 361's did. 'Course I have been wrong before.....too. :wink:

attachment.php

And here's another shot of the discoloration along the one area -- which was also where the one bolt was loose.

attachment.php

Last edited:
I have had this happen a few different times, but it was in saws that were up in the 210ish range of compression and happened after about six months of use, luckily they were my saws.

Ported with that type of compression and used the way you use a saw, I can believe it. But this thing was bone stock except for the 28" b/c combo the guy had on it. I'm surprised it even had any bearings left!

I would try asking for assistance on the website, and see how far you get. It may be more hassle than it is worth on a customer saw, but you never know. You will certainly have to take the jug to s dealer for a look. Do you have one you are friendly with?

And all this time I thought they used Chop Suey Mfg! Silly me.

But I don't think too many domestic (US) 361's had anything but these. I know 440's and 460's sported Gilardoni for a time, but I haven't seen anything indicating that the 361's did. 'Course I have been wrong before.....too. :wink:

attachment.php

And here's another shot of the discoloration along the one area -- which was also where the one bolt was loose.

attachment.php

Thanks, that answers my question! ;)

The lower pic. makes it even clearer that this happened over time.

I would try asking for assistance on the website, and see how far you get. It may be more hassle than it is worth on a customer saw, but you never know. You will certainly have to take the jug to s dealer for a look. Do you have one you are friendly with?

I'll give it a shot and see what happens. And yes, there is a dealer in my area who may go to bat for me on it. And this saw looks like it may end up being mine in exchange for getting the guy's 192T running again if I can find some parts for that little rascal...(hint, hint).:laugh:

The dealer he took the 361to for assessment simply told him it was blown up and not worth fixing....after they put a new coil in it thinking that was the problem.:dizzy: They didn't charge him for it and ended up selling him a MS362.

I've been on the prowl for a 361, and it looks like I'm gonna be the proud new owner of one....................(ahem).:laugh:

The loose bolt was likely the cause,why would they warranty that?Sort of like getting a warranty from the rim manufacturer after your wheel came loose on your truck isn't it?

The loose bolt was likely the cause,why would they warranty that?Sort of like getting a warranty from the rim manufacturer after your wheel came loose on your truck isn't it?

The bigger question is why was it loose in the first place.

And my truck is a Ford, and yes the wheels fell off.:msp_tongue:

:cheers:

Last edited:
FORD backwards- Driver Returns On Foot. I've got one too so I'm allowed to say it-my wheels haven't come of yet though.:biggrin:

I would try to get warranty for that if it came into my shop. Stihl will often call warranty stuff back to the factory and check it over for future product improvement. They may be interested enough to buy a new cylinder.

How did you determine that the bolt was likely the cause?

I would try to get warranty for that if it came into my shop. Stihl will often call warranty stuff back to the factory and check it over for future product improvement. They may be interested enough to buy a new cylinder.

I think in both cases its a "QUALITY" ISSUE. Stihl i would think they would not want it to get around they make sh*tty saws don't back what they make workmanship and material even when it is out of warranty and is beyond what you would find without tearing the saw apart.

I think in both cases its a "QUALITY" ISSUE. Stihl i would think they would not want it to get around they make sh*tty saws don't back what they make workmanship and material even when it is out of warranty and is beyond what you would find without tearing the saw apart.

What a post.....don't you realize that Mahle is one of the best oem suppliers to most saw mfgs, not just Stihl but Husly and Dolmar as well, one of the top automotive suppliers as well for performance pistons. If there was a casting flaw, no fault of Stihl's, like wise if it were off another brand. If a guy came into our shop with it, we would try to get him helped. Just like the numb nuts who took a impact to a blower last week to tighten the shredder blade with a screwdriver wedged against the piston. Bent the **** out of a forged rod. Unit was under warranty, we did get it covered. We try to fix stupid one time, then their on their own.

What a post.....don't you realize that Mahle is one of the best oem suppliers to most saw mfgs, not just Stihl but Husly and Dolmar as well, one of the top automotive suppliers as well for performance pistons. If there was a casting flaw, no fault of Stihl's, like wise if it were off another brand. If a guy came into our shop with it, we would try to get him helped. Just like the numb nuts who took a impact to a blower last week to tighten the shredder blade with a screwdriver wedged against the piston. Bent the **** out of a forged rod. Unit was under warranty, we did get it covered. We try to fix stupid one time, then their on their own.

Great post.

No guarantee of course but it stands to reason.The cylinder has a three corner torque on it with the fourth loose.An uneven clamping force at best,or the beginning of a stress riser at worst.It's hard to imagine that not being the cause,given the look of the cylinder.

No guarantee of course but it stands to reason.The cylinder has a three corner torque on it with the fourth loose.An uneven clamping force at best,or the beginning of a stress riser at worst.It's hard to imagine that not being the cause,given the look of the cylinder.

After looking things over again this morning, I would tend to agree.

As for the "quality" issue, I think I'd sorta lean the other way from sh**ty considering the saw had the snot run out of it with only three cylinder bolts by a tree service guy....for who knows how long.

I'd call that pretty damned good quality, myself!

Gonna try the tech support route and my favorite dealer today to see where that may go for a replacement, but not holding my breath.

Thanks for all the replies, fellas.

Latest posts

Back