MS361 OEM cylinder?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, after numerous emails the guy came clean. The whole engine was aftermarket and bought on eBay to fix a broken saw. The seller said he got the saw from another guy who couldn't get it to run. That original owner apparently never told the eBay seller about the complete aftermarket engine. I am going to give the guy the benefit of the doubt and believe his story.

I bought the saw as a "non-running" saw but expected it to be OEM cases and crank. The seller is willing to take it back if I pay for the return shipping.

And that’s why I don’t sell on eBay any more. Guy buys a non running saw probably for dirt cheap by only looking at pics. It turns out not to be a killer deal and the standard recommendation is use the buyer protection. There’s got to be some risk for buyers. Let’s see a link to this listing, and how it was described.
It’s likely the seller bought it used and has no clue about any of it. With all the Whiney hiney buyers these days not many folks are willing to actually defraud you on eBay since all you have to do is click a button and get your money back. Especially on an item that shipping 2 ways would likely come close to covering what it’s worth.
If a seller is to lazy to clean parts off and properly describe condition then that's what they get. Many sellers hide behind the distance and cost of shipping, and I bet most would never get away with selling half of their garbage in person. How is the buyer responsible for the lack of knowledge by the seller? I say if one doesn't know what they're selling then they probably have no business dealing with it in the first place.

PayPal also has seller protection and it doesn't seem to be known.

If a seller is to lazy to clean parts off and properly describe condition then that's what they get. Many sellers hide behind the distance and cost of shipping, and I bet most would never get away with selling half of their garbage in person. How is the buyer responsible for the lack of knowledge by the seller? I say if one doesn't know what they're selling then they probably have no business dealing with it in the first place.

PayPal also has seller protection and it doesn't seem to be known.

Good points.

I'm inclined to think that buyer protection and keeping eBay somewhat sane is more important than a sellers hurt feelings or pocketbook. It appears he screwed the buyer with his description. No way around that. And many buyers would never notice. However, accepting his 'you pay the return shipping' idea of how to ameliorate this is crap. If he doesn't want negative feedback, well deserved, he needs to buy it back outright, and ship the junk back on his dime.

That said, I haven't seen the ad. Before I condemn the seller to the bowels of eBay hell, I'd like to read his description. But I don't like the idea that YOU, the buyer, should shrug it off as an eBay lesson learned. That just increases the chance that the next poor b'stard gets the same deal.

There is a place at the bottom of the ebay ads where you can ask questions. Before you buy ask questions about it like if it's aftermarket or oem parts. If he won't give you a good answer then don't buy it. I used to sell saws on ebay but have given it up because of difficult buyers and some that were just plain dishonest...

Without seeing the add this is all pointless, but I’m all for buyer protection if a seller is screwing folks. This seller obviously isn’t a chainsaw guru or he would have fixed the thing. How is he supposed to even know non oem parts are an issue if he doesn’t have CAD.

I don’t know about y’all but if I spent the time to tear into the thing and see exactly what’s there so I can sell it with a perfect descriptiom im going to just fix it while I’m in there and keep it. My time disassembling and reassembling the dang thing would likely be worth what it sold for as a mystery unit.

As an eBay seller taking it up the rear to make a customer happy still gets you bad feedback over half the time. People are jerks online. eBay has forced me to refund several items with absolute perfect descriptions that I could have highlighted the line in the description addressing the exact reason for refund. It’s absolutely rediculous. I really miss the old days of buying items poorly described with blurry pics for dirt cheap hoping to hit a home run.
You’ll notice now that 90% of what’s on eBay is China junk now, it used to be cool folks selling their treasures.

Was doing more investigation and it doesn’t appear t0 have a serial number on the case. Do the 361’s have it on the top of the case on the right side? Maybe the cases are aftermarket too?

My OEM 361 has the serial number stamped in the normal position on the right side next to where the OEM muffler exhaust comes out.

I honestly think that we're making too big a deal over oem vs aftermarket on used chainsaws. I have a bunch of chainsaws, some with oem and some am and really can't tell the difference when they're running. I guess it depends on whether your saw is one you use or keep in your museum. I'm not sure if my 361 is oem or not..been awhile since I've had it apart..

I honestly think that we're making too big a deal over oem vs aftermarket on used chainsaws. I have a bunch of chainsaws, some with oem and some am and really can't tell the difference when they're running. I guess it depends on whether your saw is one you use or keep in your museum. I'm not sure if my 361 is oem or not..been awhile since I've had it apart..

I am nowhere near as experienced as the majority of guy here. Everyone has also been very helpful. However, had I known that it had a Chinese engine, I would have bid accordingly. That was my only gripe. I am partly to blame for assuming things. You live and learn!

True, you live and learn but just because an engine has a Chinese top end doesn't mean it won't run a long time. I installed one on a friend's 660 who does a lot of woodcutting and it's been going for a long time. The secret is to not run it too lean and give it enough oil in the mixture, especially during break in..

True, you live and learn but just because an engine has a Chinese top end doesn't mean it won't run a long time. I installed one on a friend's 660 who does a lot of woodcutting and it's been going for a long time. The secret is to not run it too lean and give it enough oil in the mixture, especially during break in..

Perhaps, but that's not the point if you don't want Chinese stuff for whatever reason.

As to OP, I'd use buyer protection rather than send it back and hope for a refund...with buyer protection, copying your messages confirming it's a BS sale and his offer to send it back, you will be sure to get your money back upon confirmation that the saw arrived at the seller (via tracking info).

I am nowhere near as experienced as the majority of guy here. Everyone has also been very helpful. However, had I known that it had a Chinese engine, I would have bid accordingly. That was my only gripe. I am partly to blame for assuming things. You live and learn!
I’ve got quite a few OEM runners here, clean as well.

By the time you try to “fix” up an eBay special, even if it’s all OEM, you’re price will likely exceed what a clean oem saw will cost you. The parts add up a lot quicker than one would imagine.

Return that saw and get your money back.

You're best as a seller to describe what you're selling as accurately and honestly as you are able and as a buyer you need to ask questions about the merchandise, especially if you don't want any aftermarket parts. When I was a youngster, buying auto parts we actually preferred aftermarket to oem. Much rather have a Mallory ignition than a stock one...
When buying a saw it is indeed okay to have some am parts if the price is right..

Latest posts

Back