MS361 questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice mod. Did you put a screen over the new muffler opening to keep sparks in?

I never cut in areas where it is required so I did not. It would be very easy to do so in I wanted to. That and I didn't get the kit that included wire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never cut in areas where it is required so I did not. It would be very easy to do so in I wanted to. That and I didn't get the kit that included wire.

There is so much internal Swiss cheese on the inside of an MS 361 muffler that I doubt any sparks could get through. The inside looks like a rat's maze.

For some reason pics won't upload. I'd post what I did. On the flywheel side of the muffler, mock up the deflector kit with the muffler installed. Mark where it fits without getting in the way. Put two 3/8th holes about a 1/4" apart, then cut out the space between. That should mostly fill the area under the husky deflector and give you an 85% port compared to exhaust opening. I used #8 half inch metal screws with 1/8" pilot holes...maybe it was slightly bigger. I'll put up a pic if it starts working.

Thanks for the great info Buzz. I'll be working on 'er today. I have some tapping screws ... I was wondering if they wouldn't back out over time.

Pics on this site are suck a PITA. I've been using photo-bucket and it runs so sloooooow, I gave up.
TomJV

Wood Doctor,
I only own one "ported" saw - a MS361. I don't know what Terry Landrum did to it and I don't particularly care for the increased noise, but that saw is impressive - enough so that I would do another one if I have a pristine 361 to send him. I have a well used stock 036Pro that I purchased new and until recently two MS362s. IMO very respectable saws, but nothing like the power of the modified 361. Is it in the league of a stock 046 - certainly no. Is it my go to saw - most certainly.
Ron
A well done 60cc saw should run right with, or better than, a stock 046. Mine certainly do.

A well done 60cc saw should run right with, or better than, a stock 046. Mine certainly do.

I was extrapolating as I don't have an 046. I run a herd of 82cc MACs and am advised by folks I trust that own both that the 82cc MACs are pretty much neck to neck with the 76cc Stihls - the MAC with more torque and the Stihl with more speed. My ported 361's performance isn't even close to one of my MACs nor would I expect it to be. Your mileage may vary.

Ron

Interesting, my spark arrestor cleanout is in the opposite side. ; |
TomJV

At first glance I thought that pic was a reversed image but if you look close you can see the corner of the tab for the factory clean out on the other side where it should be. I believe that screen was added as part of the mod. Beautiful muffler though! Kinda reminds me of the ones Scott Mojo, or whatever his name was, sold back in the day!

I ordered a muffler on EBay today for $13. It "looks" fine. I want to mod it. I figure I can use it for a template. My Stihl OEM unit is in perfect shape. I put it on the wheel and cleaned it up.
First, I thought I'd do the side Husqy deflector mod. I ordered the parts from Bailey's but I not happy with the fitment. The Peice rocks and rolls. I can't help thinking those screws are gonna back out. ?
Then I thought I'd do the shark fin mod. It's the simplest and doesn't look TOO bad. Also, It would allow chips inside(as plain holes would).
At this point, I'm thinking of making a curf with the dremmel in the front, on the under side of each of those humps. They may even look like they belong there. For $13 I'll try it on the spare.
TomJV

The husky deflector has to be bent flush, it came with a bend on one side correct?

Depends on which you use. I prefer the one on the left, and yes it needs to be flattened. I just give em a few whacks with a big flathead. A couple self-tapping screws hold em.
IMG_2217-M.jpg

20170105_144801_zpsqy04mxy5.jpg

20170107_122301_zps2efbbkcg.jpg
20170105_144801_zpsqy04mxy5.jpg

Bend the bottom of the deflector a hair and run it. It's worked great on my saw. Night day muff mod vs none.

That muffler is more choked off than I thought...wow.

Check you my Homelite XL12. Now THAT'S a free flowing muffler LOL. ('course, that's before I cleaner it all up).
TomJV

xl12 2.jpg

Back