MS361 questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check you my Homelite XL12. Now THAT'S a free flowing muffler LOL. ('course, that's before I cleaner it all up).
TomJV

View attachment 553952
That has to be the loudest small saw, stock, that was ever made. We used to call them big blue. Others called them the blue demon. I ran mine the other day, but I was smart -- I put on my ear plugs before I started her. LOML was in the house upstairs and when I came in, she said, "Was that engine running straight pipe?"

I put my saw back together and now it runs terribly. ; (
NOW, it basically runs a minute or two then DIES. Drops like a rock.
Could be the spark plug wire I repaired. ?
Could be the muffler gasket I reused. ?
Fuel line?

When I first put it back together, it wouldn't run, just blip.
Then I opened the carb screws way more and it ran 30 secs.
Then I pulled the carb and opened the top. Noted it was filled with chips on TOP of the diaphragm. Under the dia was OK.
Where I am now. She starts normal and runs a minute or two, then dies. LOL Like you start 'er up and just when you're ready to drop the bar into a log ...

TomJV

Plug wire. When I pulled the plug wire, the head popped off. I removed the rubber boot and noted a loose(by itself) wire. Then I noticed a tiny hole in the plug wire. It seems the 90degree bend in that loose wire fit in there. I reinstalled it and secured it to the plug wire by wrapping it with steel wire. Reinstalled the boot and a drop of di-electric goop. I think it's fine. I dread doing another mag ; (

I picked up the saw today and said, "what the heck". Started her up and SHE RAN LIKE A CHAMP! She'll stall at idle after a minute or two, but I can live with that. Besides, it's always done that.
I couldn't be more pleased with the muffler mod, the new FG3 file guide sharpen and my tune.

I think I'm understanding the 2 stroking thing. It's like a gurgle or warble sound. She's pushing a drop of smoke here and there, but nothing crazy. I'll prolly pull the plug after few hours and see what's what.

As for the FG3, JUST GET ONE! IGM on EBay. Set up a search and save it. It will then send you an email when one comes up. Cool, right? I now have the Grandcrap and the FG. If you have the means and AT ALL appreciate fine tools, GET THIS CONTRAPTION. First, it weighs like 10X the Grandberg so you can infer it's stronger, which it is. It's also more precise because it has way more rigidity. Also, it's designed by someone who actually cares about the mechanic. The Grandcrap is schlock POS. So, I have both. I find the G sufficient for my small saws and I leave it set up with the correct file. I use the FG for all the bigger stuff. The one thing about the G is it's lighter, so it's easier to manipulate on the smaller saw/bar.

Now I'm gonna do the same thing(s) to MS361 #2. The second muffler is in the mail.
Oh and the Chinese muffler seems fine. For $12 who cares? I'll update if necessary.
As for the mod, it sounds louder, especially in the beginning, but you get used to it ... as you can't hear anymore LOL "what honey?" Seriously, it's louder, but not crazy. Certainly not as loud as my "straight pipes" Homelite XL12! The saw feels more responsive and seems to have more grunt. "seems" at my car websites = "butt dyno" LOL.
The Husky deflector is a very good idea. I'd say 90% of the exhaust is using it, so it keeps it going away from the saw/operator. It came with a creepy turned up lip, which I removed on the grinder. At a glance, I looks stock.

I just ordered a set of carb screw bushing limiter thingies. If you plan doing this stuff, I'd recommend getting them BEFORE you start. Between the age of my 361 and my effort to remove them, they were pretty messed up. This makes your tuning a PITA because the slot is sloppy. It's especially noticeable when doing the H setting.
TomJV

I picked up the saw today and said, "what the heck". Started her up and SHE RAN LIKE A CHAMP! She'll stall at idle after a minute or two, but I can live with that. Besides, it's always done that.
I couldn't be more pleased with the muffler mod, the new FG3 file guide sharpen and my tune.

I think I'm understanding the 2 stroking thing. It's like a gurgle or warble sound. She's pushing a drop of smoke here and there, but nothing crazy. I'll prolly pull the plug after few hours and see what's what.

As for the FG3, JUST GET ONE! IGM on EBay. Set up a search and save it. It will then send you an email when one comes up. Cool, right? I now have the Grandcrap and the FG. If you have the means and AT ALL appreciate fine tools, GET THIS CONTRAPTION. First, it weighs like 10X the Grandberg so you can infer it's stronger, which it is. It's also more precise because it has way more rigidity. Also, it's designed by someone who actually cares about the mechanic. The Grandcrap is schlock POS. So, I have both. I find the G sufficient for my small saws and I leave it set up with the correct file. I use the FG for all the bigger stuff. The one thing about the G is it's lighter, so it's easier to manipulate on the smaller saw/bar.

Now I'm gonna do the same thing(s) to MS361 #2. The second muffler is in the mail.
Oh and the Chinese muffler seems fine. For $12 who cares? I'll update if necessary.
As for the mod, it sounds louder, especially in the beginning, but you get used to it ... as you can't hear anymore LOL "what honey?" Seriously, it's louder, but not crazy. Certainly not as loud as my "straight pipes" Homelite XL12! The saw feels more responsive and seems to have more grunt. "seems" at my car websites = "butt dyno" LOL.
The Husky deflector is a very good idea. I'd say 90% of the exhaust is using it, so it keeps it going away from the saw/operator. It came with a creepy turned up lip, which I removed on the grinder. At a glance, I looks stock.

I just ordered a set of carb screw bushing limiter thingies. If you plan doing this stuff, I'd recommend getting them BEFORE you start. Between the age of my 361 and my effort to remove them, they were pretty messed up. This makes your tuning a PITA because the slot is sloppy. It's especially noticeable when doing the H setting.
TomJV
Turn your idle screw clockwise until the chain starts to creep. Chances are it won't stall out after a minute or two.

Turn your idle screw clockwise until the chain starts to creep...
Thanks Wood Doctor,
I'll adjust it when it's warm. What happens is, when I first start it, the chain DOES creep. As she warms up, the idle seems to slow up.
TomJV

Thanks Wood Doctor,
I'll adjust it when it's warm. What happens is, when I first start it, the chain DOES creep. As she warms up, the idle seems to slow up.
TomJV
I have an 036 that did the same thing but I was able to leave the carb alone or adjust it a little faster. I fixed it by cleaning out the inside of the clutch drum that engages the clutch shoes. It gets caked up with grime in there and makes premature contact and causes the creep. Also check for a weak or broken clutch spring.

Back to the carb. You could be running a tad rich on the lo speed setting. Then when it idles down after warming up, it floods out.

Thanks Ed, I'll do that. Probably, an annual cleaning of the clutch bowl would be a good idea.
As for the carb, I'll try 1/8 - 1/4 turn in
TomJV

Back