MS361 Won't Run

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blueberrymuzik

Lesser Known AS Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, I bought a MS361 from a neighbor who had reached the end of his rope with it. He bought it used last year and cut firewood with it all last winter. This year, when he went to start it, he found that it would fire easily on full choke, but when he moved the lever to half choke, it would only run about ten seconds. After trying to start it for about a month, he called and asked if I wanted to buy it.

Figuring it was most likely an impulse or carburetor problem, I brought it home. The impulse line that was on it had too large of an inside diameter and fit very loose on the cylinder impulse connector. I replaced it. After that, when I tried to start it, I had the same results as my neighbor. I took the carburetor to the bench and tore it down and cleaned it out with carb cleaner. Put it back on and still had the same problem.

Since I already have a good running 361, I decided to pull the carb off of it and move to the new saw. The new saw ran perfectly. Then I decided to put the problem carb on my 361 and found that it would not run past the first 10 seconds on half choke.

Today, I tore the offending carb back down 2 more times for inspection and cleaning. The second time I pulled the accelerator pump out and thoroughly cleaned every orfice, jet and passageway in the entire carb to no avail. It still wont run.

This appears to be an aftermarket carb. There isn't a model number on it anywhere. I did find the letters HL on it, but nothing more. I'm sure that it did run once, I'm baffled about what to do other than just replace it.

Make sure that you have reassembled the carburetor correctly. It's easy to get things in backwards or upside down.

I thought of that this afternoon, so I pulled up the IPL on my laptop and set it up on the workbench to be sure while reassembling.

Just replace it. For the time you have spent scratching your head you could have bought a new carb. Doing this sucks but sometimes its the easiest. I've had a few saws I struggled with the carburetors, new kits and all. Even the ultrasonic didn't clear it up. New carbs went on and they ran fine. We like to think we can fix everything, but replacing a junk carb is fixing it too.

I didn't have a new diaphragm kit here and dealers all closed today (Sunday). I did pull the top plate off the carb a couple of times after trying to start it and found it full of fuel, so I know it is pumping good.

Just replace it. For the time you have spent scratching your head you could have bought a new carb. Doing this sucks but sometimes its the easiest. I've had a few saws I struggled with the carburetors, new kits and all. Even the ultrasonic didn't clear it up. New carbs went on and they ran fine. We like to think we can fix everything, but replacing a junk carb is fixing it too.
I can usually salvage carbs that other folks throw out. But this one has me stumped.

more then likely you will find out by putting a new kit in it it will run fine,, if your metering diaphram is even sligthly stiff it wont run right

Like I say, replace it, if it is an aftermarket getting a kit will be hard, hopefully you bought it right and can put OEM on. If not buy another aftermarket

more then likely you will find out by putting a new kit in it it will run fine,, if your metering diaphram is even sligthly stiff it wont run right
I am going to see if any of the local dealers have a kit or a replacement carb in the morning.

An OEM kit may fit, I've never tried on an aftermarket carb. Be interesting to see if they are copied well enough to work with OEM kits

Like I say, replace it, if it is an aftermarket getting a kit will be hard, hopefully you bought it right and can put OEM on. If not buy another aftermarket
I was very lucky on this one. The seller was so disgusted with it, I bought it for $150. Plenty of room to fix it right.

I
The carby body could be warped so fuel bypasses inside the fuel pump. Try sanding it flat by using some 180 grit wet and dry sandpaper on a piece of flat glass and rubbing the carb body over it until flat.
I've not tried that one before, sounds like it would be worth a try.

I rebuilt the carb on my husqvarna 394 with a ki,t and put the wrong diaphragm in it. It ran for 10 seconds or so then just flooded out and would not restart . the kit i got came with 2 daiphraghs and one had an extra hole. I would double check that.

Latest posts

Back