MS362c Need help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ohio8484

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and could use some help with a saw I just bought. i need a saw and since I unfortunately lost my job I can't afforrd a new one. I picked up a Stihl MS362c on craigslist for 50 bucks. It's a 2013 model and the guy said it runs but as soon as it gets warm it dies. stihl but a brand new carb on and it didn't fix the issue. He told me he used an air compressor to blow out the air filter while the filter was still on the saw and thinks he blew dust into the engine.

I did tree work for a number of years but never messed with the newer saws like this one. I knew I couldn't loose any money for $50 bucks and took a gamble. I could use some help diagnosing what the problem is and how to fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Compression is right at 100, 120 when I did a wet test

Attachments

• IMG_0243.JPG
    IMG_0243.JPG
    807.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0251.JPG
    IMG_0251.JPG
    734.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0252.JPG
    IMG_0252.JPG
    751.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0253.JPG
    IMG_0253.JPG
    822.8 KB · Views: 34
Whereabouts in Cincinnati are you located? I'm just east of Cincinnati.

that m tronic carb need to be hook to a computer. here is what you can try in the mean time. start the saw and let it idle on the triangle section for 90 sec and then cut it off. then take it and make 5 cutter in a log a little smaller then the bar. that will reset the carb

100 is low on compression but your guage could be off. Your pics from the muffler side didn't show much. Any lines up and down the piston would be bad. Spark needs to be verified when the fault occurs. M tronic is great when it works but a real pain if it has issues.

100 is low on compression but your guage could be off. Your pics from the muffler side didn't show much. Any lines up and down the piston would be bad. Spark needs to be verified when the fault occurs. M tronic is great when it works but a real pain if it has issues.

I didn't see any lines on the piston but did see a slight line in the cylinder. I'll see if I can get a better picture of it tomorrow

I'm new to the forum and could use some help with a saw I just bought. i need a saw and since I unfortunately lost my job I can't afforrd a new one. I picked up a Stihl MS362c on craigslist for 50 bucks. It's a 2013 model and the guy said it runs but as soon as it gets warm it dies. stihl but a brand new carb on and it didn't fix the issue. He told me he used an air compressor to blow out the air filter while the filter was still on the saw and thinks he blew dust into the engine.

I did tree work for a number of years but never messed with the newer saws like this one. I knew I couldn't loose any money for $50 bucks and took a gamble. I could use some help diagnosing what the problem is and how to fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Compression is right at 100, 120 when I did a wet test
I took of the muffler and looked in and saw there is a pretty decent sized gouge in cylinder. It's 2-3 mm wide and deep. Is this worth rebuilding and if so are there manuals or a post anywhere with instructions?

Thanks for sending me that. We had a storm and our power is out so I can't tell if I can download it. I'll let you know if I can't. Thanks again!
I sent you the mechanic's manual in a P.M..

BTW the regional Stihl distributor is in your area.

Bryan Equip.

Latest posts

Back