Ms400

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a ms400 for a few months now, saw runs well and cuts well.

Been searching trying to find info if these saw benefit from opening up the mufffler and possibly a timing advance?
Don’t have the skills to port myself and the Aussie porters are all months out
Idk about the timing advance, seems like a lot of the new Stihls are good where they are.

Yes on opening the muffler. I built a new cover for mine, similar to a bark box. The stock exhaust is really restricted. I ended up doing some minor port work and cutting the squish band on mine.20220603_155446.jpg

Idk about the timing advance, seems like a lot of the new Stihls are good where they are.

Yes on opening the muffler. I built a new cover for mine, similar to a bark box. The stock exhaust is really restricted. I ended up doing some minor port work and cutting the squish band on mine.View attachment 993201
How many tanks have you run through it?... just curious.
Anything notable besides more power?
Bar length and loop type?

How many tanks have you run through it?... just curious.
Anything notable besides more power?
Bar length and loop type?
It's still a baby, maybe 20 tanks? I've only had it about 3 months...it's not my main saw by any means.

Definitely more power. It seems to rev up quicker. After I did the cylinder work, it's even more responsive. Only marginally faster in the cut, but almost 500i-like in how quickly it revs. I was surprised by that, as I did pretty minimal work to it.

I either run 25 or 28" lightweight bars on it. I run skip chisel chain on all my saws that aren't top handles. The oiler isn't that great on these saws. It has no issue with the 28" on pine, but it's a bit dry when cutting "dusty" wood like redwood or cedar. I even cut some oaks with it, power is not an issue with it.

I consider the 400 to be a perfect saw in its stock form. Why mess with perfection. If you need something larger, that cuts faster, can run longer bars, buy a 462 or a 500i. Just my 2c.
Purely due to the weight of it when using the saw while climbing, while on the ground happy to use a bigger saw where needed, just nice to have as much power as possible in as light and nimble pachale as possible

Purely due to the weight of it when using the saw while climbing, while on the ground happy to use a bigger saw where needed, just nice to have as much power as possible in as light and nimble pachale as possible
That's why I got mine. I want light weight, yet good power when I climb. Sure the saw is loud, but I just pop my muffs down or put ear plugs in, and then enjoy the increased power.

I consider the 400 to be a perfect saw in its stock form. Why mess with perfection. If you need something larger, that cuts faster, can run longer bars, buy a 462 or a 500i. Just my 2c.
Different strokes...I modify everything I get. I don't own a saw that doesn't have a muffler mod and I've ported half my saws. If you had a chance to run a modded 400, you might just think that's the new perfect saw. It hasn't totally replaced my larger falling saws, but the power/weight ratio definitely makes it an attractive alternative sometimes.

Everything gets modded here or ported.
Light weight is king in the trees, period.
I want my 400 to pull a 24w or 32lw if I ever need one again up a tree. Selling new ones prepped and ready to kill with a 24 or 28 is my next venture after this pile of 034, 034S, 036 and 360P saw get done for myself. I could never get comfy with my 361's or 2's for chunking down because of the loose AV setup. 260 or 1 never has enough anything imho. I've got the cure for that now and should be much more user friendly for us still running the 200T vs a newer 201 anything. I sold three 201Ts because getting used to one just never happened. My last one is on Craigslist for 525 just south of me. His second 201T purchase and he didn't like it either. He did keep his newest 201TCM not modded. I'll be modding that soon and then trying it out with a stiffer AV system.

A 400 is about as close to perfect for chunking down your, correction my, average tree if it just has a little more.
one side note
just hate those straight shot, shotgun and bark boxes

Had a ms400 for a few months now, saw runs well and cuts well.

Been searching trying to find info if these saw benefit from opening up the mufffler and possibly a timing advance?
Don’t have the skills to port myself and the Aussie porters are all months out
Opening up the muf always helps. I have a 661 with a hollow can that looks like a muffler. The 5/8" exit hole has been opened up to a picture window, the nfront has over 20 1/8" holes drilled. Letting the heat out adds to saw life also

You use a MS400 with a 28" when climbing?
Not yet but it beats using a 66 or 460 to chunk down large dead oaks and such. Never built my hybrid 1128 for that being it's hard on my wrist, arthritis. If you haven't stuffed a 660 in lightning hit dead white oak or honey locust over three feet wide with a 28"ES you haven't worked hard as climber yet. The 32"lw isn't overkill trust that. Climbing with a 75cc plus saw isn't something my narrow ass is looking forward to trust that. Full skip square chisel setup right on a 32"lw is real with 400 that has the right stuff. More than few people will want one. It's my dream weed control tool and the time has come.

Opening up the muf always helps. I have a 661 with a hollow can that looks like a muffler. The 5/8" exit hole Nissan opened up to a picture window, the nfront has over 20 1/8" holes drilled. Letting the heat out adds to saw life also
I'm considering a "holy moley" front on my ported 1125 chunking saw ;)

That's pulled a 60" bar milling maple 3 years ago. That baby broke in during the slicing off boards hehe! What a change! Square chisel skip (leaves room for chips) threw chips up to 12 1/2 feet out the far side lol
One of my 660's got ported and went on the mill. It might be bit much climbing with but no one will be waiting around long to see **** fly.

You use a MS400 with a 28" when climbing?
Sometimes...especially for chunking down the spar after I limbed it up and took out the top. I usually use my Echo 2511t(or 201tcm) on the way up, take the top, and then trade out saws once I need a rear handle. The 400 is my go-to in that role, but I've even had to use my 066 w/36" bar on exceptionally large trees.

I'd rather not deal with a bar that's too short, when climbing. It's enough work just being up there, no sense in having to do double cuts or working the tip of the bar over from the off side.

Everything gets modded here or ported.
Light weight is king in the trees, period.
I want my 400 to pull a 24w or 32lw if I ever need one again up a tree. Selling new ones prepped and ready to kill with a 24 or 28 is my next venture after this pile of 034, 034S, 036 and 360P saw get done for myself. I could never get comfy with my 361's or 2's for chunking down because of the loose AV setup. 260 or 1 never has enough anything imho. I've got the cure for that now and should be much more user friendly for us still running the 200T vs a newer 201 anything. I sold three 201Ts because getting used to one just never happened. My last one is on Craigslist for 525 just south of me. His second 201T purchase and he didn't like it either. He did keep his newest 201TCM not modded. I'll be modding that soon and then trying it out with a stiffer AV system.

A 400 is about as close to perfect for chunking down your, correction my, average tree if it just has a little more.
one side note
just hate those straight shot, shotgun and bark boxes
Are you planning to stiffen up the AV or you like it the way it is?

Back