MS440 rebuild now low compression

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawk910

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok guys I just rebuilt my 440. New cylinder, piston, rings, base gasket, and dual port muffler. Also put a new tank and handle assembly. When I got it all back together it cranked and ran fine. I ran it for about 5 minutes at low rpms just to get a good heat cycle. after it warmed up I began to adjust the idle screw and L carb screw just to get it idling properly. During this time it died and would not start back up. I put the compression tester on it and it was only 105. I then did a pressure test (I know I should have done this before cranking) and it was leaking around the base of the cylinder. I broke it back down and couldn't see anything visibly wrong. I cleaned all of the joining surfaces and turned the gasket over and put back together. Compression still at 105 and pressure test still revealed leak around the base of cylinder. So here are my questions. Should the saw crank and run at 105 compression? Would the leak itself cause the low compression or with me running it with that leak (for only 5 minutes) have possibly caused damage to the piston/rings/cylinder? Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Ok guys I just rebuilt my 440. New cylinder, piston, rings, base gasket, and dual port muffler. Also put a new tank and handle assembly. When I got it all back together it cranked and ran fine. I ran it for about 5 minutes at low rpms just to get a good heat cycle. after it warmed up I began to adjust the idle screw and L carb screw just to get it idling properly. During this time it died and would not start back up. I put the compression tester on it and it was only 105. I then did a pressure test (I know I should have done this before cranking) and it was leaking around the base of the cylinder. I broke it back down and couldn't see anything visibly wrong. I cleaned all of the joining surfaces and turned the gasket over and put back together. Compression still at 105 and pressure test still revealed leak around the base of cylinder. So here are my questions. Should the saw crank and run at 105 compression? Would the leak itself cause the low compression or with me running it with that leak (for only 5 minutes) have possibly caused damage to the piston/rings/cylinder? Any advise is greatly appreciated.
put a little sealant"dirko" on gasket. is arrow on top of piston pointing towards exhaust?

Aftermarket parts? It probably has huge squish. Does you gauge have a Schrader valve at the very tip of the hose?

Yes, aftermarket parts. Yes, my gauge has a Schrader valve. I checked the gauge on one of my 461s and it read 155 so I don't think it is the gauge.

Aftermarket is always a gamble. Gotta check everything upon assembly. The price of OEM includes the quality control aspect.

Like said above, after you check everything, add dirko to the base and mounting pad. You have to check squish, and you should check with and without the gasket.

Aftermarket is always a gamble. Gotta check everything upon assembly. The price of OEM includes the quality control aspect.

Like said above, after you check everything, add dirko to the base and mounting pad. You have to check squish, and you should check with and without the gasket.
Dido. Check squish, you may want to just seal and leave gasket out. Curious to here your numbers

I ordered a OEM gasket and a set of Caber rings. I'll pressure, compression, and squish test once I get them in and post results.

Back