MS440 rebuild now low compression

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
put a little sealant"dirko" on gasket. is arrow on top of piston pointing towards exhaust?

What is dirko sealant? Is it silicone? I use either hondabond or yamabond . It is a gray sealant semi hardening. The best part is you can clean it off with a good quality brake cleaner like 3M.

Ok guys I checked the squish. It wouldn’t even smash the solder. Took the gasket off and rechecked. I don’t have a digital caliper but it looks like around .040-.050 range. That is with zero gasket. Compression is now 118.

Ok guys I checked the squish. It wouldn’t even smash the solder. Took the gasket off and rechecked. I don’t have a digital caliper but it looks like around .040-.050 range. That is with zero gasket. Compression is now 118.
Need a caliper but I bet you are close. Way way to much. You need like .025ish off that jug. I hate this cheap nonOEM ****. Know someone with a mill? Lathe can do but harder without jig

Need a caliper but I bet you are close. Way way to much. You need like .025ish off that jug. I hate this cheap nonOEM ****. Know someone with a mill? Lathe can do but harder without jig

I have caliper it’s just a cheap one that reads in mm. It’s showing just a hair over 1mm. I guess I will get an oem jug. Is there a website where you can order oem Stihl parts online?

I could see lapping a couple grand, at home on say a granit counter top. Belt sander for 25k.:reading: Hang on let's see if that's in my Journeyman manual. Nope cylinder belt sanding is not covered.

I have caliper it’s just a cheap one that reads in mm. It’s showing just a hair over 1mm. I guess I will get an oem jug. Is there a website where you can order oem Stihl parts online?[/QUOTE

Are you sure you can't hold down the units button to switch between mm and In...

No, it’s not digital. It’s a manual read.

Attachments

• E4A4B71A-98F4-4C7B-A833-03762D1C3BC7.jpeg
    E4A4B71A-98F4-4C7B-A833-03762D1C3BC7.jpeg
    746.2 KB · Views: 10
You won`t find much Stihl parts online unless off eBay. Stihl dealers are not allowed to sell online so its usually a trip to the nearest dealer to order parts. Where are you located and lets see some picts of this saw. I have been known to build a few of them.

You won`t find much Stihl parts online unless off eBay. Stihl dealers are not allowed to sell online so its usually a trip to the nearest dealer to order parts. Where are you located and lets see some picts of this saw. I have been known to build a few of them.

That’s what I thought. I’m about 30 minutes from a dealer. I hate having to call in an order and then going to pick it up. I’ll take my chances on aftermarket parts that I can get delivered to my door. What company provides the best quality aftermarket Stihl parts?

For moving engine parts, no aftermarket parts are reliable enough for me to waste time and money on them. AM exterior covers and fuel tanks are about the only parts I would personally put on a Stihl saw. It`s just a crap shoot buying AM stuff these days but if you can correct poorly machined ports,intake,exhaust and transfers then some of the AM piston and cylinder sets can be made to run but few perform as well as OEM.

That’s what I thought. I’m about 30 minutes from a dealer. I hate having to call in an order and then going to pick it up. I’ll take my chances on aftermarket parts that I can get delivered to my door. What company provides the best quality aftermarket Stihl parts?

I can't match up with most of these guys but Meteor seems to be good stuff to me

Latest posts

Back