MS441 extra oil option

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lakeside53 said:
It's confusing because the oiler isn't an "option"; it just changes depending on which model you buy.

And it's a regional issue... out West we can get the 441 wrap and the oiler stuff is known. Can you even get a Wrap in your area?

So my understanding is the 441 full wrap come with 2 larger dogs.

And a non wrap model could have a matching outside dog mounted (both smaller).

Can the full wrap bar be swapped out with a single wrap bar?

Any other differences between the FW and HW besides oiler size and dogs?

Still mostly idle curiousity although I have a hunch I'm going to have to get one at some point. Feel like I need to spend some more time on my new 7900 before I can justify another saw in the general size.

Last edited:
Yes... it's possibe to swap the handle bars BUT they use different spring mounts... so it's pricey..

The dogs can be moved around...

It also comes with a deep clutch side cover... and roller chain catcher.

Lakeside53 said:
Yes... it's possibe to swap the handle bars BUT they use different spring mounts... so it's pricey..

The dogs can be moved around...

It also comes with a deep clutch side cover... and roller chain catcher.

Sounds like it is best to pick the handle you want from the get go.

Do dealers in your (our) area stock both models? I would need to really check out clutch covers for any difference in clearance for noodles before deciding.

And for my roller chain catchers on my ripping saws, I don't dare tell you how my catchers are extra safe (in my toolbox).

Yep... It's been thar way on Stihl's for a long time - full wrap - big cover...

The covers clear nicely - I use the big cover on my 361 and my 066, 088, etc.. I like the extra protection... particularly when using the saw clutch-side up..

I'm not sure what other dealers stock.... Our stocking versions fluctuate depending on what was last purchased!

Lakeside53 said:
Yep... It's been thar way on Stihl's for a long time - full wrap - big cover...

The covers clear nicely - I use the big cover on my 361 and my 066, 088, etc.. I like the extra protection... particularly when using the saw clutch-side up..

That is good info that I didn't know. My 066 and all the ones I've run are full wrap and it never occurred to me the cover itself was different. The 066 clears noodles well, with enough grunt in the cut to stay with the flow.

Anyone have two 440, 460 or 660 size Stihls in the same size with both a half wrap and full wrap bar willing to take some pics of the bottom area of the sprocker cover where chips exit?

I think a direct comparison of both style sprocket covers would be very interesting/useful for those of us who don't have a clear idea of the difference. Seems like the dealers I've seen usually only have one or the other style in stock at any one time.

B_Turner said:
Anyone have two 440, 460 or 660 size Stihls in the same size with both a half wrap and full wrap bar willing to take some pics of the bottom area of the sprocker cover where chips exit?

I don't, but I wouldn't sweat it. The lowered portion of the cover is flared outward and isn't going to be any more restrictive than the short cover. I've never had a problem, and each of my saws have that cover on them....even the 361.

attachment.php

My dealer stocks almost exclusively full wrap models. Once in a while he'll get one in and it'll sit there while the full wraps keep selling.

fishhuntcutwood said:
I don't, but I wouldn't sweat it. The lowered portion of the cover is flared outward and isn't going to be any more restrictive than the short cover. I've never had a problem, and each of my saws have that cover on them....even the 361.

attachment.php

My dealer stocks almost exclusively full wrap models. Once in a while he'll get one in and it'll sit there while the full wraps keep selling.

My 066 looks just like this one except the dogs are not quite as big.

So when viewed from below the half wrap 660 cover is exactly the same in width? The only difference is that the full wrap cover continues down to be even with the lower case and that lower portion is all flared out?

Or put another way, the only difference is the addition of some flared cover toward the bottom?

Like I said, my 066 wrap clears noodles fine, I'm just trying to understand the difference in covers as it is new to me.

The sprocket covers on my huskies are not as open at the bottom as my Stihls and are trickier to keep noodles flowing. That is one reason why Stihls are more popular in general with burl harvesters and woodturners in general. But with the right touch Huskies still do okay with sidegrain cutting.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back