MS441 R C-M M-Tronic Review and Mods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats awesome. So it self adjusts to anything you do to it? What about the Huskys with the auto tune?

I haven't seen a tech doc on how the Husky works, but the Stihl will work awesome with mods. My original thinking was that an O2 sensor would be required, and they're not there. It's much more simple than that. The only things monitored are engine temp and RPMs. I'm thinking engine temp is used for choke control only. Engine speed appears to be entirely controlled by RPM. But it's not just tuning to a target RPM. Instead, the carb pulls a small amount of fuel and then looks to see if RPMs rose or fell. If they rise they figure it was too rich and pulls another tiny amount of fuel. If they fall, they figure it's too lean and instead add a tiny amount of fuel. This way the engine is always tuned to max RPMs in the cut. Simple and effective! View attachment 194694

I called this the MS441 Autotune once at my shop. I thought it was funnier than they did haha. Good looking saw, will definitely be checking back in on this one.

thanks young , I thought it might be to expensive to try to switch it over but i had to ask.

full list and ipl

19 different parts needed to convert over to m-tronic.

attachment.php

A fellow AS member has a modded M Tronic and it positively hammers plus it is maintaining better than expected fuel economy. The videos are impressive. From what I've heard these saws remember previous settings upon startup so they obviously have some tricky components. Only issue I've heard which I mentioned in another thread is that the 2 saws tested by a forestry compliance company in Oz found they were running too hot (over 340 degrees C at the hottest point) to be legally used in Australian forestry. To me this would suggest they are running too lean from the factory for emissions compliance.

Cool thread Brad!

I think it's only a matter of time before someone works out how to set the carb using a USB contraption or similar and some nifty software. That should help modding the saw also. It's only a computer module after all and Stihl has the means to adjust the carb, but I'm guessing they probably won't adjust a modded saw carb for obvious reasons.

So Brad what do you think of the larger clutch cover and mud flap ?.
With your porting work i assume you are looking for torque and not rpm,is there a rev limitter ?.
Do ya feel a bit strange not being able to adjust anything,i bet a srew driver didnt come with it.
I think we all are wotching with great interest.
Thanks

Last edited:
The fact that the Husky system recommends setting up the Autotune by running the saw continuously between 8,000 - 12,000 for 3-5 minutes, suggests that Husky and Stihl may have taken out a license for a third party's control module.

I too would like to see some better documentation for the Husky system - they may be very similar in operation.

Way to dig in Brad, I'm interested in porting my 441, its the regular model. Probably the only saw I haven't ported yet. I guess I feel with it being a strato I'm a little weary as I have yet to mess with one. Should I go about porting as normal? I'm not looking to go crazy at first. If I follow this thread the porting should be the same? Anyways I do like my 441 more now that's she has well over 20 tanks through her. At first I will admit I wanted to throw it in the river. But now its pretty impressive. A bit heavy but good on fuel. I can't wait for the 461.....

The fact that the Husky system recommends setting up the Autotune by running the saw continuously between 8,000 - 12,000 for 3-5 minutes, suggests that Husky and Stihl may have taken out a license for a third party's control module.

I too would like to see some better documentation for the Husky system - they may be very similar in operation.

on paper the new 555/560/562 AutoTune looks more advance due to the fact (looking at the IPL) it can be hook up to a pc unlike the M-Tronic.

i haven't seen a tech doc on how the husky works, but the stihl will work awesome with mods. My original thinking was that an o2 sensor would be required, and they're not there. It's much more simple than that. The only things monitored are engine temp and rpms. I'm thinking engine temp is used for choke control only. Engine speed appears to be entirely controlled by rpm. But it's not just tuning to a target rpm. Instead, the carb pulls a small amount of fuel and then looks to see if rpms rose or fell. If they rise they figure it was too rich and pulls another tiny amount of fuel. If they fall, they figure it's too lean and instead add a tiny amount of fuel. This way the engine is always tuned to max rpms in the cut. Simple and effective! View attachment 194694
i would think the saw will be a totally different machine after break-in. My 441 ran a lot better after 6 months. I would also be willing to bet if they can moniter engine temp,that helps control fuel as much as anytjing. Engine temp can be controlled with fuel as much as anything. They probably use rpm and temp to reg. Fuel. I have read any of the service info on these yet, but fully intend to. I am anxious to see a modded one run.

The only thing I can add to this discussion is, I got my 441 when they first came out, it was the hardest saw to bring in I had ever had. At least it took the longest and it was extremely cold natured when brand new. After many tanks of fuel and a muffler mod it is my favorite saw now. I use my 660 to chunk up big wood but use the 441 to noodle with and it handles a 28" bar just fine.

Steve

I don't want to spoil the party, but I think you should run it in a bit more before modding it.

In the vid. it looked good but not Stella, and TBH, as it is now, some will be able to say, stock for stock a 372 would smoke it. I don't think it would be the case after run-in, but as they say, if there ain't no vid, it did'nt happen. :msp_unsure:

So do try to resist the urges, and run it in a bit more.

on paper the new 555/560/562 AutoTune looks more advance due to the fact (looking at the IPL) it can be hook up to a pc unlike the M-Tronic.

That's good and all but ask a Husky dealer where the PC tool, and software is to do that, there isn't any.

I went ahead and modded the muffler last night. Anyone can mod a muffler and all I did was give back what the EPA or OSHA took away. I really don't care how it runs without a MM. Tonight, the saw is going home with Andre. He and Nik will run it and give their feedback.

Last edited:
Back