MS441 R C-M M-Tronic Review and Mods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's good and all but ask a Husky dealer where the PC tool, and software is to do that, there isn't any.

thats why you got to buy your own. i know i dont want my redneck husky dealer messing with it:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

on paper the new 555/560/562 AutoTune looks more advance due to the fact (looking at the IPL) it can be hook up to a pc unlike the M-Tronic.

That's good and all but ask a Husky dealer where the PC tool, and software is to do that, there isn't any.

Stihl tech notes do say the diagnostic jack on the side of the 441 C-M carb is "preparation for a software based diagnostic unit" as well.

Stihl tech notes do say the diagnostic jack on the side of the 441 C-M carb is "preparation for a software based diagnostic unit" as well.

well currently only a test lead tool is available to diag it with a multimeter and 9v battery. same as stated in the 241cm workshop manual.

I'm trying to figure out what to do with this muffler. There's not good place to put another deflector, other than the bottom. It fits nicely between the muffler and case and looks like a mouth, lol. The only possible issue is that it would blow straight forward in very close proximity to the bark. Shouldn't be an issue though once it's ported. It won't be in one place long enough to get that hot:clap: Another option is to really open the muffler up at the factory opening. This would mean no longer having a functional spark arrestor. I'll probably end up selling this saw, so that may not be a good idea. Ideas?

Do the muffler mod ala Lakeside53 used on the 361 and use the tube type screen????

Just sayin,,,,,,

Brad, how's the acceleration? If it's like Auto-Tune it should wind up pretty quick.

I'm also guessing that the "hunting" for the sweet spot you mentioned started to go away as the saw was breaking in.

Interesting that you noticed a gain after just one tank. Like you said, that's pretty unusual. The 555 I'm playing with now didn't really show a gain until I got near the end of the third tank, and I expect there will be some more of course.

interesting

2 pins to 2 leads. but look for your self.

tech info

The mass storage device is beyond those leads. What they indicate says they are using non volatile memory, plus there is probably an eprom? There's a programmable logic circuit backed up with the non volatile memory, most likely flash, that needs the input in order to make decisions, that's the running it to get it set stuff.

Works like this "if so, this, if not, that" a lot of times a second.

It's akin to what cars have, like when you pull a battery and they have to be driven to reset for optimal use. I bet a good car tuner or phone geek could get into one and pull some data out. Would most likely require surgery for access. I sincerely doubt it is all that well protected. Industrial stuff like this is typically "security by obscurity", nothing fancy. Stihl...a SWAG, an off the shelf Siemens chip inside.

But then..what for? I guarantee the programming and changes onboard are way beyond the speed someone could do with a screwdriver "in the cut". Most likely little to gain by tweaking, outside of racers who don't care if they burn up a saw to win some contest.

You need to find a local geek who tweaks/ jailbreaks cellphones. You need geek work done, you need a geek to do it.

That's assuming the m-tronic circuit is actually modifiable. I have a feeling it's not and just a circuit board with set parameters "burned in".

Brad, is it possible to get a picture of the m-tronic board?

That's assuming the m-tronic circuit is actually modifiable. I have a feeling it's not and just a circuit board with set parameters "burned in".

Stihl techs have the ability to 'set' the carb if it's running to rich/lean. So it must be adjustable, just not sure how they do it exactly...

It says right in the docs it is programmable. That's what all that pre running running stuff is about. It has a set of gross basic parameters, enough so it will run, then the fine tune is established due to variances in all that other jazz they say in that pdf. And that is why they need onboard storage, the non volatile memory. Saws don't carry batteries, they can't use volatile memory.

It says right in the docs it is programmable. That's what all that pre running running stuff is about. It has a set of gross basic parameters, enough so it will run, then the fine tune is established due to variances in all that other jazz they say in that pdf. And that is why they need onboard storage, the non volatile memory. Saws don't carry batteries, they can't use volatile memory.

I got you, i didn't read the whole pdf, just skimmed over it and read how to use the test lead with the 9v and DMM.

Hey Zogger - Clean out Your Mailbox

Saws don't carry batteries, they can't use volatile memory.

Speaking of memory, zogger your mailbox is full!
Please clean it out and PM me - I have something important to ask you offline but can't contact you!

Thanks.

(OK - now back to the computerized saw. Sorry for the interruption guys.)

Philbert

Non-volatile random-access memory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

EPROM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

EEPROM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Brad, how's the acceleration? If it's like Auto-Tune it should wind up pretty quick.

I'm also guessing that the "hunting" for the sweet spot you mentioned started to go away as the saw was breaking in.

Interesting that you noticed a gain after just one tank. Like you said, that's pretty unusual. The 555 I'm playing with now didn't really show a gain until I got near the end of the third tank, and I expect there will be some more of course.

Acceleration is great. After the MM, I fired it up and it didn't want to accelerate well at all for the first couple blips, then it was just magically perfect again. Tonight we fired it up for the first time today and it started on the first pull again. Throttle response was great, right off the bat. It's pretty cool how it learns. Andre took the saw home to run, so I'm looking forward to his feedback.

Back