MS441c-m Clutch / Sprocket Cover Captive Bar Nuts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BRS

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the clutch cover from the MS661 will fit the MS441? I ask since it would be nice to have a clutch cover on my MS441 with captive bar nuts. The other alternative would be a MS362 clutch cover if that would fit the MS441 and has the holes for the outer dawgs.

Thanks,
Brandon

Also does anyone know the stihl part #'s for the MS661 clutch cover and the MS362 clutch cover with captive bar nuts and holes for bumper spikes (non-3/4 wrap handle style).

I like the idea. I just went and tried my 661R cover on the 441R and it is a no-go for a straight swap. However it does look like it might be able to be made to work. The studs for the captive nuts are longer than the standard ones so that might take care of the thickness difference where the nuts are. If that would then cause other problems with gaps then or not, I am not sure. It looks like you could modify the shape of the cut out on the back of the cover to make the 661 shapes more closely match the 441 cover. I am not sure if it would leak chips or not though because the 661's looks deeper. Here are a couple pics of the problem areas in the covers that I see with the naked eye.

661 on the right

covers-1.jpg

Again 661 on the right.

covers-2.jpg

As for the part numbers. You inbox might have the 661 IPL in it if you check. ;)

Good luck!

Elim,

Thank you very much for the side-by-side comparisons & IPL. I very much appreciate it.

Brandon

I think the MS362 Cover 1141 640 1700 may fit which has captive bar nuts and is cast with the holes for the outer bumper spikes but just doesn't have the holes drilled through fully (easy to do). Has anyone fitted this cover to their MS441?

Update: The MS362 c-m Cover w/ captive bar nuts p/n: 1141 640 1700 fits perfectly on the MS441 c-m. Only thing is you need to swap out are the bar studs for the ones compatible with the captive cover p/n: 0000 664 2406. Also I drilled out the cover for the outer bumper spikes. The casting for the hex head and starter hole are already on the inside of the cover so that was very easy.

So BRS, is the pics above of your 441cm with 661 clutch cover or 362 clutch cover? Looks nice and understand why you would want captive bar nuts....there great!!

That is the MS 362 C-M clutch cover which fits the MS 441 C-M when you also replace the bar studs with the MS 362 C-M bar studs since the collar needs to be lower to work with the captive nuts.

Hey BRS,

If you have the part number for the equivalent extended/west coast cover for the R saws?

Thanks in advance.

Elim,

The west coast cover does not have captive bar nuts according to Stihl USA. Even the MS362 cover with the bumper spike holes pre-drilled does not have the captive bar nut feature for some untold reason. The part number for the non-captive nut west coast sprocket cover for the MS362 and MS441 is 1138-648-0400 and I once had one (came on my MS441 R-CM) but since sold that cover last year.

Brandon

Hey Brandon,

Thanks a ton for the info and the research on this. Looks real good. Also do not have to keep toting extra nuts with you everywhere you go. Great job!

Thanks again!

Lots of good info in this thread! I've got a 361 I'm putting together. I ran across a 362/261 captive bar nut clutch cover. I see where covers listed on ebay say they fit 361, 362, and 441s. Theoretically, wouldn't that mean I could replace the bar studs on the 361 with the ones mentioned above (0000 664 2406) and use this cover on the ms361? Anyone tried it before? Thanks for any help.

Gents, I'm upgrading my MS362-CM with the full-wrap bar and larger side-cover but want captive bar nuts. Do we have a part number for replacement captive bar nuts to use with the new side-cover, or is there a large cover available with captive nuts already installed?

Thanks!

Back