Ms460 dies under load

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scheffa

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
An ms460 was out on my bench at work today with a gag saying it dies under load, haven't had a chance to run the saw as yet will tomorrow.
Wondering if there is anything you guys can think of to look at that I may not

I would check chain sharpness too.
There is often an element of truth to a joke.
Yes ..Razer sharp with max hook with a .030 depth in many green hardwoods pivoting
off the dogs on a 45°, that thing will die under load. You won't learn that in Mechanics school unless of course, you go to the same school as the OP.

Fuel vent
That's true,
It would die in the cut or out of the cut. Out of the cut it will start to 'race up' for about 20sec then sputter and die unless you crack the gas cap. Way to much unwanted experience with frozen vents up here. Can't get the Vented ones here anymore either.

Could also be a carb malfunction or setting issue. Metering side or pump side may have sawdust impacted vents.
Right, I forgot about that,
That happend back when I had my 357 and It was sawdust plugging off the vent hole in the carb plate which is on the bottom side on that model, opposite the 372. Good one.

Seems like either a carb or top end rebuild. Pull the muffler and have a peek. If it looks good then have a peek through the carb at the other side of the piston. If both sides look good then put a new kit in the carb.

It's definitely not the fuel, as we run a fleet of over 40 saws and they use the same fuel, as I said in my op I haven't yet had a look at the saw or heard it running.
Knowing the boys at my work the air filter could just be that filled up.
Cheers for the suggestions should get time to look at it today

Latest posts

Back