Ms460 PHO Value

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Courage

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys, it's only been a few months now since I got my first saw, but I think I ran across a pretty good deal. Who's keeping track of how long ago it was anyway? Lol! I found a MS460 PHO for $250. The guy lives about 100 miles away, so with factoring in gas money, I'll be about $300 into it. I would still need a bar and chain. The guy said that he just put a newer used piston in it from a different MS460 that he had that had somehow gotten crushed. He said that is was a Stihl piston. He says compression is good. He said its pretty ugly but runs and cuts. Is this a good deal? Since my other saw is a MS260 I was thinking that this would make a good second saw. Thoughts on that? Seems like those 2 saws would pretty much cover all of my bases. I'd love to hear y'alls thoughts!
Screenshot_20220320-170826_Facebook.jpgScreenshot_20220320-170828_Facebook.jpgScreenshot_20220320-170830_Facebook.jpg Do I go for it?
Thanks guys!

Well, he went to the trouble of fitting a genuine new Stihl clutch sidecover- so odds are pretty good it has a genuine used piston as well- what I would ask is why the piston was swapped?
Looks well used, well worked, but also looks all there, not busted up and suffering only cosmetic detailing type faults. Has the Magnum sticker- so that is worth at least $30! :laugh:
Way I look at it is, is the saw going to cost me more than I could make parting it out, if it ends up being a lemon.

Good price if condition is good, but driving 200 miles for a saw?!
Lol I live about 50 miles away from the nearest Walmart, so I'm kinda used to driving a ways for stuff.
Well, he went to the trouble of fitting a genuine new Stihl clutch sidecover- so odds are pretty good it has a genuine used piston as well- what I would ask is why the piston was swapped?
Looks well used, well worked, but also looks all there, not busted up and suffering only cosmetic detailing type faults. Has the Magnum sticker- so that is worth at least $30! :laugh:
Way I look at it is, is the saw going to cost me more than I could make parting it out, if it ends up being a lemon.
What is the part out value approximately for a MS460?

Lol I live about 50 miles away from the nearest Walmart, so I'm kinda used to driving a ways for stuff.

What is the part out value approximately for a MS460?

No idea where you live- but over here, I could make back my money at $250 on what I can see in your photos, parted out- probably double that figure- but things cost more here.

But the OEM bar nuts are missing! :eek: ;) :laugh: :dizzy:

Concur Bob, could make it back as parts saw.

I asked "Do you know what caused the old piston to need replaced?" To which he responded "No clue." Is it important that I know what the problem was? Thanks for all of your help.

Yes, if not fixed it will happen again, sooner than later...
So what would cause the cylinder to need replaced? I know know that running it lean could, but other than that, I'm clueless. I'm knew to all of this... Since he doesn't know, should I skip it? Or is it most likely something cheap that needs replaced?

So what would cause the cylinder to need replaced? I know know that running it lean could, but other than that, I'm clueless. I'm knew to all of this... Since he doesn't know, should I skip it? Or is it most likely something cheap that needs replaced?

It is the kind of risk you take, buying a second hand saw from someone you do not directly know and the history of the saw is not known.
Could be the piston was just worn out through use, or the ring and the saw was down on compression a bit, so the owner, having a crushed donor saw, decided it was easier to throw the piston from the crushed saw into the weaker one.
Or, it might have a vicious air leak, burned the piston up, smeared the cylinder in transfer and the owner slapped a spare piston out of a crushed saw in it, it started and ran, so decided to sell it quick.
It is the gamble you take in the online secondhand saw market.
If you consider the asking price reasonable, you drive the trip, hand over the cash and take the saw home. Then you check it over really well before running it.
Or, you get someone you trust to check it over.
If you feel the asking price is a bit high and are getting a bad vibes about the deal, you walk away, say thanks but no thanks, You might miss a diamond in the rough- or you might avoid getting burned.
There will be other saws come along.

I did a bunch of research just now on air leaks on MS460 saws, and it seems like people are saying that usually it is pretty cheap rubber parts. I guess my question is, if it does have bad seals, are they hard to replace? Is it something that I could watch some YouTube videos on and ask some questions and do my self, or will I have to take it to a shop? Also, is there a way to figure out what caused the piston to go bad with out a pressure/vacuum tester? Thanks!

I did a bunch of research just now on air leaks on MS460 saws, and it seems like people are saying that usually it is pretty cheap rubber parts. I guess my question is, if it does have bad seals, are they hard to replace? Is it something that I could watch some YouTube videos on and ask some questions and do my self, or will I have to take it to a shop? Also, is there a way to figure out what caused the piston to go bad with out a pressure/vacuum tester? Thanks!
I think that's a pretty decent price for a complete 460, even if it needs a bit of work. Seals are very easy to replace and yes, look at the piston/cylinder (maybe even pull the cylinder off) and post up some pics and we could probably give you a rough idea of where to look. For all we know, the old piston was used until the rings wore out and the guy just swapped in a good used slug instead of buying a new one. If that's the case, the jug is probably fine.

Pick it up by the starter handle. If it holds the saw up or maybe SLOWLY unwinds compression may be ok. Should pop in about three pulls. Start in 3 more pulls. Idle it down and let idle for 3 to five minutes with the chain brake on. Should still be idling. Rev it up. Needs to rev clean and fast. Should drop back to idle and stay steady. Shut it off and let it set a minute. Should start 1 pull. Grab end of crank at sprocket and try to wiggle it. NO PLAY!

Now you have a chance.

Latest posts

Back