MS460 starter rope grabs very abruptly

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It shouldn't be that hard to start. Here's me with my ported 2188 (390xp). You just have to yank on it real hard. I didn't use the decomp (rarely do on any saw).

It's funny this came up when I had the same issues on Saturday. Mine are with my 076 super though which has no decomp.

It's always occasionally yanked out of my hands from the compression but for the most part it wasn't too brutal. Then all of a sudden I'm between cutting off the saw for removing the slab,
When I would go to start it again it would rip my hand off every pull. I damn near gave up but finally was able to get it started.

I literally have had a sore forearm and bruised thump for a couple of days now. Any idea why all of a
Sudden mine would be so brutal compared to the last 3 or 4 times I used it?

Agree 100%, the 461 I ran had very high compression and needed a swift and confident pull to fire it or the handle would rip through. If you continue to have issues, I would recommend starting it on the ground vs. drop starting if that is your current procedure. Especially for cold starts. Personally I don't bother with decomps but on bigger saws they definitely help.
I think all of you are right. I think I am just not committing to a hard fast pull. I had tested the compression on my saw before and it had 185 cold. But it seems that this issue has just become recent. Albeit I have a screwed up right shoulder and am having to start it with my left (normally right handed) so am not as strong or committed to a strong hard pull. I have to start it on the ground because there is no way I could hold it and drop start it, (I only weigh 120 lbs). If I try to start it once the decomp pops up, I can pull through it barely with great resistance of course. Maybe I should just pull it a few times on full choke and then blip the throttle and pull and see if it will start (before the decomp has pushed up) because maybe it is getting flooded and kinda hydrolocking too and that is causing it to pull back so hard and lock up.

You on the right track new decompression valve may pop up harder. The elastostart rope will let u start it much much easier. It will feel like you are starting a 35cc saw. You can put a bigger base gasket in it to lower the comp some to make it easier yet to start.

Jeez at 120 lbs a 460 must wear you out? I'm about 100 lbs heavier and I feel it after several hours.

Weighing only 120 unless you are popeye my hats off to you that you can even start it. My wife weighs in that range so you must be small framed. You should be jumping around in trees climbing them and start a top handle instead. That is an ideal weight for a climber for sure.

Please don't take offense to this. I mean in no way due to your weight anythign bad. Sad thing is I could lose 100lbs and I would still out weigh you by a good bit. Not that I'm proud of that in anyway ether:angry:

When i got my 272 from my dad, there were 5 or 6 broken fins on the starter cover from this exact thing. Its an earlier one with no decomp and you better mean it when you pull on it. Im guessing the starting it with your left hand is where a lot of this is coming from.

Weighing only 120 unless you are popeye my hats off to you that you can even start it. My wife weighs in that range so you must be small framed. You should be jumping around in trees climbing them and start a top handle instead. That is an ideal weight for a climber for sure.

Please don't take offense to this. I mean in no way due to your weight anythign bad. Sad thing is I could lose 100lbs and I would still out weigh you by a good bit. Not that I'm proud of that in anyway ether:angry:
No offense taken whatsoever . Yeah I'm only 5'6" and I would be climbing around in those trees if I weren't 60 years old. I do woodturning for a hobby (vases, platters, bowls, etc.) and only use the MS460 to cut up bigger pieces of wood than my 025 can handle. So, I think that maybe I am just getting gun shy now on starting the 460 and not pulling as hard as I need to (especially since I'm using my left hand) so I will try pulling much harder next time and if it keeps doing the same thing, then I might have to take it to the shop to get them to look at it.

Dall and JonCraig were spot on when they suggested it might be the starter pawls. The pawls were rounded off too much and getting wedged on the starter "humps" instead of just holding against the humps. So, new pawls solved the problem. Sorry for the long delay in responding, but I thought I had responded a long time ago.

You must hold the record for posting your solution. Thanks for coming back and providing the answer to your problem.

One of our chainsaws, Stihl 290 was acting the same way. Took off the starter cover and the starter and flywheel was packed with sawdust, glued in. After a cleaning appears to be ok.

I would check the flywheel to see if the key is sheared off so the timing has moved.

Whenever I get a saw in the shop that the starter rope is jerked back out of my hand I always pull the flywheel and check to see if the flywheel key is sheared off, most every single time it’s sheared off.

Whenever I get a saw in the shop that the starter rope is jerked back out of my hand I always pull the flywheel and check to see if the flywheel key is sheared off, most every single time it’s sheared off.
Yes, an 084 I resurrected had this problem. It used to almost break me trying to start it until I figured out the problem. I also started to hate the bastard :angry:

Yes, an 084 I resurrected had this problem. It used to almost break me trying to start it until I figured out the problem. I also started to hate the bastard :angry:

I have already said in another thread that I was working on an 066 and the starter snapped back so hard that I swear I broke the 3 fingers I had wrapped on the handle. So I feel for you brother, an 084 must have ripped your arm clear off!

I have already said in another thread that I was working on an 066 and the starter snapped back so hard that I swear I broke the 3 fingers I had wrapped on the handle. So I feel for you brother, an 084 must have ripped your arm clear off!
Absolutely; I’m no weak lightweight by any means but I started to get scared of putting everything into starting the brute...starts like a dream now AND I fitted a D handle for a better grip
B6718145-A5FA-4EEF-B1E7-CAD65C329EB3.jpeg

Back