MS461 Recoil Assembly Bodge?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimonHS

Amateur Chainsaw Fixer and Wood Scrounger
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I picked up a rough (very rough) MS461 recently. Missing the recoil starter assembly and few other minor parts, otherwise looks like it will be a runner.

I thought I would be able to get an aftermarket recoil assembly for a reasonable price, but that's not so here in the UK. However MS460 recoils are cheap and plentiful.

I know (or rather believe) that the top right screw hole on a 460 recoil is in the wrong place for a 461. My question is - has anyone ever drilled an extra hole in a 460 recoil to make it fit a 461? I know it would be a bodge and it wouldn't look pretty, but the saw is so rough that it wouldn't matter. Not to me anyway.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (10)_kindlephoto-759582165.jpg
    s-l1600 (10)_kindlephoto-759582165.jpg
    404.4 KB · Views: 6
I picked up a rough (very rough) MS461 recently. Missing the recoil starter assembly and few other minor parts, otherwise looks like it will be a runner.

I thought I would be able to get an aftermarket recoil assembly for a reasonable price, but that's not so here in the UK. However MS460 recoils are cheap and plentiful.

I know (or rather believe) that the top right screw hole on a 460 recoil is in the wrong place for a 461. My question is - has anyone ever drilled an extra hole in a 460 recoil to make it fit a 461? I know it would be a bodge and it wouldn't look pretty, but the saw is so rough that it wouldn't matter. Not to me anyway.
I might know a guy with a used 461 recoil he'd sell for a reasonable price, I could check with him if you're interested.

Back