MS461 sudden death

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martyb95

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I would like help on my MS461 magnum, 5 or 6 years old.

I had been using the saw for about an hour cutting up ash.

It was running absolutely fine then it suddenly dies like its run out of fuel but it actually hadn't.

Now it won't start at all, even after a good while. No fire whatsoever.

Any ideas what to look for first?

I still have a few ton of wood to cut up.

Welcome to AS. First thing I'd do is pull the muffler and see what the piston looks like. Does it still turn over like normal? How does the compression feel?

Welcome to AS. First thing I'd do is pull the muffler and see what the piston looks like. Does it still turn over like normal? How does the compression feel?

Ok thanks I'll do that. Yes turns over like normal, although i can hear a slight squeaky noise which isn't normal.
Compression feels normal.

If it stopped suddenly, and feels normal when pulling it over, not easier or harder then it is most likely an ignition issue. Check for spark. If you have spark check very carefully to make sure your plug wire doesn't have any bad spots and is grounding out on the case. Check your kill switch while your at it.

Well, that's not what I meant by ignition, I'd say that's more of a fuel air ratio / compression issue but... yikes. That sucks.

Latest posts

Back