MS660 Air filter, how abbrasive is saw dust?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave2500

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well, this is embarrassing

I Have a almost new ms660 (about 10 tanks on it)
Looked at the air filter today and most all of the fine dust by-passed the filter and is all over.
It seems that the inner baffle was not put in right and i never checked is (my fault)

How abrasive is just sawdust? (Nothing big, just very fine)
Besides cleaning it up anything to do?

I bought a max flow air filter today with oil, it seems they are considered pretty good...

Any idea how much damage was done? (It was all softwood)

You should be okay. Pull the muffler if you want and take a good look at the piston. Very fine sawdust will just get burned up.

Did you check the carb throat for sawdust residue?

there was a little bit of dust in the carb, is the best way to get it out with oil mix, im afraid if i use carb cleaner there will be no oil for the engine

there was a little bit of dust in the carb, is the best way to get it out with oil mix, im afraid if i use carb cleaner there will be no oil for the engine

Yeah, just use some pre-mix. If you have a good parts brush, that will be useful too. If you don't have a parts brush, go buy a few of varied length and such. They are great for cleaning the saws and for getting into hard to reach places.

Back