MS660 oil pump adjustment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junkfxr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a 2010 MS660 that usually wears a 32" bar but I've got a big job coming up next week that's going to need the 42" bar. After putting the big bar on, I flipped the saw over to make sure the oiler adjustment was wide open. The screw slot was pointing at the "E" which I assume stands for Eco friendly. It wouldn't turn any farther clockwise and would only turn counter clockwise a 1/4 turn to the lowest setting. Does the adjustment screw only have 1/4 turn of adjustment on these oil pumps or should it turn farther clockwise? According to the manual that came with the saw, it should go farther clockwise. Looking for some other's experiences and thoughts. I tried using the forum search feature but couldn't come up with anything even though I know this has been discussed before. Apologizes for bringing this back up again.

Yes there is not that much travel in the control bolt from stop to stop. May not match up with the gauge embossed in the plastic.

For a 42" the HO oiler is going to be stretched. Modding it will help a little more and it will oil it better.

Are any stray bits of sawdust clogging the control bolt's head against the stop preventing full control? I had this on my ms341 when it was really messy. Try spraying around the bolt's head if this is the case.

For a 42" the HO oiler is going to be stretched. Modding it will help a little more and it will oil it better.

Agreed. I've owned and run a number of 660's with the HO oiler and I'd rate them as a max bar length of 36", especially in hardwood. If you want more oil buy a Husky ;)

My email notification must not be working again, I just got around to seeing this. Thanks Magnumitis for the link. I'll be doing that soon. I had to use the 660 as it is last Thursday and Friday and yes, the oiler puts out no where near enough oil for a 42" bar, especially in hardwood. Had an 80" white oak removal. It worked and didn't burn up the bar or chain but it's all pretty dry. As for buying a Husky, both of the Husky's that I took, a 346 that has never given me any problems at all and a 562 that has became my "go to" saw after getting the carb problems fixed, quit late in the afternoon on Thursday and I had to go back to the shop and get some of the old dreamsicles. Both of them acted like heat related issues and I haven't had time to look at them yet. Thanks to everyone for their replies.

Latest posts

Back