MS660 Seizing Up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chainsaw Jim

Chainsaw Jim

CJ Saws, LLC
I popped off the sprocket and gave it a wiggle and it's really tight. Would the play be there with the clutch still installed?
Yes. But you have to make sure the thing isn't seized up when you are checking. The flywheel side needs checked too.
Regardless what's wrong it needs to come apart, so pulling the cylinder without removing the carb is easy. You remove the handlebar and muffler before you remove the four cylinder bolts. Then you loosen the clamp on the intake and carefully pry the boot off the cylinder. If the cylinder bolts are removed before you take the boot off then the cylinder will likely pop loose and pull away from the boot as you're prying on it.

pepe_silvia

pepe_silvia

ArboristSite Member
Carb has to be off to do that. Was it checked when the new cylinder was put on?

I believe it was, but I don't know what the numbers will. I'll ask the guy that did the job.

There's been another development. Just noticed this:
2016-01-17 (1).jpg

and found this:
2016-01-17 (2).jpg

I think the piece of the spring was getting lodged between the clutch and the drum.

tickhound93

tickhound93

ArboristSite Guru
I wouldn't do a vac test right now. In my opinion this saw needs to be completely disassembled and gone over with a fine tooth comb. While its apart, may as well do crank bearings. This thing needs rebuilt completely. Only way to get piece if mind out of it now. Sometimes a guy doesn't have time or money to do it right the first time, but the second time it fails a guy can afford time and money then. Get this saw disassembled, clean everything squeaky clean, and let us help you get it right. These 660 are cheap and easy to rebuild.

pepe_silvia

pepe_silvia

ArboristSite Member
I wouldn't do a vac test right now. In my opinion this saw needs to be completely disassembled and gone over with a fine tooth comb. While its apart, may as well do crank bearings. This thing needs rebuilt completely. Only way to get piece if mind out of it now. Sometimes a guy doesn't have time or money to do it right the first time, but the second time it fails a guy can afford time and money then. Get this saw disassembled, clean everything squeaky clean, and let us help you get it right. These 660 are cheap and easy to rebuild.
I will take this advice. Any suggestions for a one-stop shop to get the parts?

Right now I'm at:
  • Clutch
  • Intake boot
  • Crank bearings
Is the piston/cylinder still a TBD based on vac/compression testing, or will I need to go ahead and get one?

Chainsaw Jim

Chainsaw Jim

CJ Saws, LLC
At work now, but I'll take a look later. I think I've learned my lesson about buying saws from Mexican Flea Markets, now matter how good the price is :D.
You didn't go wrong buying it unless you overpaid. The lesson here is to completely go through any used saw purchase before starting or running it.
I always bring my tools when I look at a used saw. T-27 torx, 4mm hex, bar tool, Philips head, flashlight, 8mm socket.
The muffler comes off and the spark plug comes out. Wasting a few bucks gas to turn a deal down is way better than getting burned on the saw.

Chainsaw Jim

Chainsaw Jim

CJ Saws, LLC
Judging by your piston I'd say the cylinder is likely good to go with minimal aluminum transfer to clean up...if any.
Inspect the bearings. Most like to replace them with every rebuild but it isn't necessary if they're still good. The seals definitely need changed.
There's no reason to worry about vac testing before teardown if you're replacing the seals and other important components since whatever could be leaking will likely be dismantled and reassembled anyways.

tickhound93

tickhound93

ArboristSite Guru
I will take this advice. Any suggestions for a one-stop shop to get the parts?

Right now I'm at:
  • Clutch
  • Intake boot
  • Crank bearings
Is the piston/cylinder still a TBD based on vac/compression testing, or will I need to go ahead and get one?
I am running a farmertrc clutch with zero issues on both my 046 and 066. Buy OEM intake manifold. I would hit up definitive Dave's eBay page. He stocks all kinds of 660 parts

Latest posts