MS660R VS MS661R ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would a hole in the intake skirt help in a 066/660, I believe his thoughts on it were to help cool the piston, but I'm sure there is more to it.

He also use to machine a hole center of intake piston skirt, about 1/2 " dia.
That works in long stroke engines with tall pistons...it worked as a intake boost port after the skirt closed the port..but still had to travel far enough to close the boost port...that mod works alot better on case reed engines

l keep hearing 'too increase flow', 'breathe more', more more ect. All that extra flow (fuel/air) must be WELL used not wasted. Rarely do we talk about how to get more out of what we already have. Better transfer design has helped this along with other inovation but l suspect improvments can still be had better utillising the existing fuel charge. All that extra stuff has to be properly burned and turned into power but how that is done 'better' rarely hit the discussion table.
Nothin better than a M/M thread with a Sunday hangover.

l keep hearing 'too increase flow', 'breathe more', more more ect. All that extra flow (fuel/air) must be WELL used not wasted. Rarely do we talk about how to get more out of what we already have. Better transfer design has helped this along with other inovation but l suspect improvments can still be had better utillising the existing fuel charge. All that extra stuff has to be properly burned and turned into power but how that is done 'better' rarely hit the discussion table.

That was my point on spit back. If it's spitting back the case is full. What's really happening is you're not getting a complete transfer from the case. The fuel is wasted before you ever get started. The idea is large carbs need time area not time. They will fill a case faster than a smaller carb as the air passing through is of larger volume. It's real easy to get carried away sometimes with longer durations. What I've found is that time and timing are two different things. Sounds silly but if you think of it in the outside in route it makes sense. Expelling burnt charge is a quick and hateful motion. The separation of burnt and unburnt is very critical. So sometimes to keep exhaust port timing ideal you need time area in the transfer to get the ideal separation and not inhibit the scavenging process. Now that you've got the separation you need to transfer as quickly as possible so case pressure is needed. When you have too much in the case and it spits back it's expelling some of that pressure not allowing for a complete charge transfer not to mention slowing the charge down. So what I've found that helps me get around spit back is either higher duration (timing) or more time area. Mileage varies from saw to saw. And please don't take this as the bible. Just stuff I've found that works for me. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

I
I know what u mean by utilizing stuff better...just trying to work with what we got...could cut the head off..design a better one one with a tapered squish...and maybe dual spark plugs...but that is getting pretty extreme...or is it? I commend randy for trying different things...because you won't know unless you try:rock:

This is what keeps this stuff interesting. When I get it all figured out it will be boring. lol
let me know when this happens

Here's the numbers in both 660s. Both saws are blowing about 210.

Fingerported saw:

EX: 98
TR: 120-118 Slanted
Fingers: 116
IN: 78

Bridgeported saw:

EX: 98
TR: 118
IN 83

Bret? What do you think?

make the word "slanted" go away

Because the first part of the opening will flow 80 - 90% of the volume.

referred to as mean time area

He also use to machine a hole center of intake piston skirt, about 1/2 " dia.

this is not done in a piston ported engine

If I had known I was gonna live so long I probably wouldn't have smoked so much weed when I was younger. Prolly killed a lot of brain cells.
Only the weak ones. You know survival of the fittest.

I only smoked once....

Unfortunately it lasted eight years.

Oh well part of growing up

Looking back, I wonder.......

What in the hell was I thinking ?

In November I get one of these....

KeyTag-Decade.jpg

These last ten years have been the best ten years. :)

Back