MS661 oiler adjust

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boogedy_Man

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Does anyone know how you push in pin #2 to get the full range of the oil adjuster? I tried using the "L" shaped torx tool that came with the saw, and a number of other pointy things. Button won't move ?? Saw is just a couple weeks old.

I must be missing something very obvious....

Thanks Afterburn, I just figured it out and was about to post. I didn't expect it to take quite so much persuasion! A couple taps with a small hammer was definitely needed to move that bugger.

A small roll pin punch or a regular punch will work as well. Tap on it with a hammer until its flush with the case. I turned my oiler all the way down first, drove in roll pin, then opened the oiler back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just out of curiosity, have either of you reached a point in the adjustment where the oil tank runs dry way before the fuel? I'm running my saw in a mill, so I have an auxiliary oil on the other end of the bar, but I am still a bit curious.

Yes mine will empty the oil before the fuel I am of the understanding that's the reasoning behind the pin

I would....but it's way down in a hole and I don't think I could get a camera on it. The stihl instructions are right, except that its much more of a "tap" with a tool and light hammer, than it is "push". You can't just push that little bugger.

IMG_2513.JPG View attachment 557899
Could anyone put up a pic? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
Here's the best pic I could get. I tried to get a dab of pink paint on the pin to make it stand out...but I missed a little. Just tap that pin for more adjustment. I didn't have a punch that small so I tapped an old drill bit with a hammer.

It's not tapped in. This saw I run a 20" bar on and it oils plenty. My other 661 is tapped in because I run a 32" bar on it.

Awesome pics. Is there a down sideb or anything bad that can happen?

Yes. If you tap too hard the saw could explode and blow your hands off. Stihl packs the underside of that pin with a small amount of TNT ....so be careful to use just the right amount of force.

Yes. If you tap too hard the saw could explode and blow your hands off. Stihl packs the underside of that pin with a small amount of TNT ....so be careful to use just the right amount of force.
That's what I suspected all along. The voices in my head told me so.

Is that the reason manual says push, to remove from the customer pool those who won't follow directions?

Latest posts

Back