MS661 vs 390XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brian what is your hybrid tuned to out of the cut? I tune by ear now but last time I checked I was around 14800 on mine
I do not have a tach ,tune by ear also ,i have 2 hybrids ,one is just ported ,it revs a little higher than a 460 will ,the finger ported one ,you can hear a noticeable rpm increase wide open over the reg hybrid .I should get a tach someday ,would be nice just to know what they run at ,do you check rpms unloaded with tach or in the cut ?

I use to set rpm out of the cut by 4 stroke and then check with tack but now I tune out of the cut by ear just to where its not 4 stroking. Usually screams in wood around 20 to 25" . Myself tuning on the safe side would be a slight 4 stroke and cleans up in the wood and then check out of the cut with a tach just for reference. I prefer to tune by ear though as now I have ran my saws enough to where I know what they should sound like in the cut or if its alil rich

Last I checked with a tach I was around 14800 on hybrid and 14200 on 390. The 241c is what it is so I dont bother to check it

Ya I agree. If its not buried in wood bigger than 25" its sounds like a nanny goat !! Lol!! Saw was designed for bigwood
My 461 was like that also with stock coil ,after the 460 coil swap ,it ran like a real saw ,felling trees was fine ,but when you went to buck the limbs was popping and bouncing off the rev limiter .

I do not have a tach ,tune by ear also ,i have 2 hybrids ,one is just ported ,it revs a little higher than a 460 will ,the finger ported one ,you can hear a noticeable rpm increase wide open over the reg hybrid .I should get a tach someday ,would be nice just to know what they run at ,do you check rpms unloaded with tach or in the cut ?
Package going out in the next day or so, will PM you tracking when I get it

My 562 runs pretty lean and mean. Can't speak for the rest of them, but the 661 seems like a blubbering mess.
Mine runs lean and mean also.. If it's a tad rich, it don't waste any time getting back to ragged edge...
It's a hell of a producer..
And wears a 24" bar.

Perhaps I'm I'm seeing bigger temp changes day to day than you guys, and if Randy says a ported saw is more sensitive to that stuff (and he did), I believe him.

Besides, the last thing I want to be doing when I climbing over logs and going through the woods is to take my gloves off so I can tune my saw with a tiny F ing screw driver.

My 044 #2 seems to be a bit more sensitive to it than the other saws, but I really like the way that thing runs. Not quite as strong as the ported 77s, but close, and a whole lot lighter. With the 28" light bar, makes a nice nimble felling saw. Then I use the bigger guys for bucking. A 25" dead Elm gave them a nice workout today.

Latest posts

Back